Abuse amongst traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 1000stars, Oct 17, 2005.

1. excellent, just found out about this feature, thanks! and also how to unsubscribe to a thread when it really becomes boring.... v.simple & efficient features i'd say!

#11     Oct 18, 2005
  2. maxpi

maxpi

I don't think most of these people talk so abusive in person. I did know one guy that was just about as offensive in person as lots of people are on ET via internet with hidden identities. He was the most widely hated person you could imagine. A fellow employee hit him with a car in a gas station once, screwed his leg up. I thought it was probably a purposful act or a person that just could not stop their self. The rude guy never equated any retaliations with his behavior!! He just was bewildered regarding why everybody was messing with him!!

On internet threads I really don't even try to remember the made up identities for the most part, posters are just comedy writers, or seriously abusive because they can get away with it or they are one-note-orchestras with an axe to grind or they are psychological sabateurs or they don't make much sense or whatever, I have had my really bad days too and posted a few things that were completely unnecessary, big deal. Posters become people in my mind when they post in a polite manner with meaningful thought out info. Maybe we all have a built in quasi "ignore" function in our psyches that make all this tolerable?

#12     Oct 18, 2005
  3. this is a good starting point to change the culture of the boards here.

#13     Oct 18, 2005
  4. Abuse goes on in these forums because of passive-aggressive people who don't have the balls to say things to a person's face.

If these conversations were going on in person, I guarantee a lot of the crap that goes on here would not happen. People may still think the rude things that they do, but they would definitely not get verbalized like they do here.

The anger comes from the individual; the whole world walks all over them from the markets to their dog, and they feel like trolling around on a message board picking cyber-fights makes them a bigger person than they could ever hope to be in real life.

It can never be eliminated...the only way to deal with it is to ignore it if it happens to you. Once the offender sees that nobody pays attention to his dumb ass on the Internet, just as they do in real life, it loses all its effectiveness for them.

#14     Oct 18, 2005
  5. Cheese

Cheese

What did you expect Stargazer?
    Weak face dipsh*ts swapping verses from their favorite poems.
    Let us all know when you've grown up.
    :)

#15     Oct 18, 2005
  6. Cheese, do you mean something like this: "Methinks thou art a shit-head."

#16     Oct 18, 2005
  7. You must be new here.
    Welcome.
    :D

#17     Oct 18, 2005
  8. This is a very good post.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that come on this site that really don't trade, nor do they have any FACTUAL information to present or discuss. All too often we see threads in the TRADING FORUM that do not share any valuable insight whatsoever, let alone methodology that goes into putting on a trade.

Instead, we get the Rubberbird's of the world that have 516 aliases and use a highly accessible and unaccountable website such as ET to feed their frail ego's and boring lives.

I have suggested to Baron to put some process into effect that severely limits the use of aliases even if it means making ET into a small nominall paysite. This would cut out on the morons that come onto ET to hear themselves talk, tell everyone how great they are, and then wind-up talking to each other with yet another alias in the same exact thread in order to defend their fragile ego.

Unfortunately, Baron does not wish to do this.
    And as a result, the Trading Forum continues to suffer, greatly.

#18     Oct 18, 2005
  9. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Hey Skalper,

How many words do you type a minute (approx)? I see that you love to write, and I do enjoy reading your posts. I get a kick out of them and I'm sure other readers on ET enjoy them also.

Have you considered buying some speech-recognition software?

This way you won't have to spend so much time typing all your posts, which can be real time consuming.

Check out this link if you're interested:

http://www.storelist.net/cgi-bin/apf4o/todaysdeals.cgi?Operation=ItemLookup&ItemId=B0003009IK

PS, I don't use this software, but am considering buying it since I have to send out so many e-mails.

#19     Oct 18, 2005
  10. cheers Apex ;-) yeah, i am actually (not using aliases etc)

don't disagree with yr other post on this thread, loads of not directly actionable stuff on ET thats for sure, at the same time its v.difficult to 'police' in an efficient way is it not, and there is also a lot of good stuff there, i'm sure u agree... and also, assumption is, at the end of the day we're all big boys, right, therefore no matter what anybody says, we make our own decisions right? therefore not much harm done when some poster goes overboard etc (not desirable tho')

good idea to limit use of aliases, maybe restrict access on IP address(es) basis for 'notoriously' abusive posters etc

separate stuff, nice post from fxskalper i found!

#20     Oct 19, 2005