Absolute Return Performance

Discussion in 'Options' started by nycderivtrader, Jan 30, 2010.

1. The numbers and the chart mean absolutely nothing. They’re backed up by nothing, you could call yourself the King of Siam in the same sentence and it would mean the same as the numbers you posted. Since again, it’s an anonymous web forum, if you feel that posting a fictitious track record somehow helps you or advances your cause or anything for that matter feel free to continue to do so. You’ve in no way violated the TOS ( nor have I for that matter) so post away until you’re heart’s content, heck post better numbers if it will make you feel better, you would not be the first and surely wont be the last!!
    Have fun,
    X

#21     Feb 15, 2010
  2. To appease a little here I will throw out a position I have on to be filled:

BIDU MAR 540/50 call spread short, credit 1.35, few days greater than one month until expiration.

I am putting on a position of a little less than 1% of the portfolio- I am not hedging this position with anything long as I currently am sufficiently happy with my overall shorts in the total portfolio.

10.65% upside in the underlying to before eroding my short 540 call- I believe BIDU is overly rich right now.

DELTA -4.12, THETA 3.09

Enjoy,

NYCDT

#22     Feb 15, 2010
  3. MTE

MTE

nycderivtrader,

If you think posting individual trades would help to appease the mood you are mistaken.

The point that everyone is trying to make is that noone who is serious about getting investors for his/her fund would come here searching for them. And equally, noone who is seriously looking to invest his/her money would come here searching for managers. Do you get my drift?

You are not doing yourself any favors by posting your "performance" here.

#23     Feb 16, 2010
  4. The delta and theta on a far out of the money call spread are pretty much meaningless. When you're simply selling spreads to pick up a little premium you’re not going to manage the tiny individual positions by delta or theta. Looking at an indexed chart of the BIDU’s IV vs. its HV over the same period of time you’d note that the IV is trading very far below the HV which is the first sign that options are more likely a buy rather than a sale. I have no opinion on the stocks direction and I don’t generally trade with any directional opinions on the underlying markets. Picking up a buck or so in premium on a 10 dollar wide spread have been done for a long long time, as usual it works until a bunch blow up in your face and you lose many months worth of premium in one month. That’s not my opinion it’s a well known fact.

#24     Feb 16, 2010
  5. No one really cares what % of your fictitious portfolio this potential trade is. There is nothing to hedge on a position like that. The fact you needed to announce you’re not hedging it leads me to draw the conclusion you’re not a particularly experienced trader. If there was an experienced investor looking to place some risk capital with some totally anonymous poster on an internet forum you’ve dropped quite a few clues that’s you’re not particularly well versed in options or portfolio management. In addition your vague innuendos as to what your ehh hem “portfolio” consists of are meaningless simply because again just like your chart and other claims they’re backed up but no proof at all. You could imply that the proposed call spread makes up .00001% or 100% of your portfolio and it would hold as much validity as you calling yourself a derivatives trader.
    What environment do you trade in? Are you a retail trader? Do you get professional portfolio margins? What kind of legal entity have you set up to take individuals money? What tax status is that entity set up with? Are you licensed?
    Those are questions any serious investor would want to know. Tossing out potential trades or fictitious profit claims are just hot air.

#25     Feb 16, 2010
  6. NYCDT, given the trade you posted above, could you satisfy my idle curiosity? What proportion of the risk you're running (referring to the returns/Sharpe you have mentioned) can be classified as short vol and/or short gamma? A rough estimate would be sufficient...

#26     Feb 16, 2010