about to trade from home...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squadron leader, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tomcole

tomcole

The big problem with building it yourself or mixing components is the first time you have a problem, no vendor stands behind what you did. Its a lot easier to simply go to Dell, get the extended warranty, and if you have a problem call them and they repair/fix it in a day.

#11     Mar 21, 2006
  2. GS19

GS19

Cpusolutions at www.cpusolutions.com allows you to build just about any system you want. I had good luck with them

#12     Mar 21, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

FWIW... Just about anything can be accomplished with a regular desktop model. Lots of ETers have 4 monitors running from the Dimension line.

#13     Mar 21, 2006
  4. I looked into the slot sitch on the Dell Optiplex GX620 Minitower. It has the following slot layout:

1 PCI-E x16 slot (full height)

1 PCI-E x1 slot (full height)

2 PCI slots (full height)

I want to run three Samsung 204-t LCD flat pannel monitors. So what kind of video card(s) would y'all suggest to get the most out of the the available slots?

Again, I'm not really into playing video games. But I would like to take advantage of the PCI-Express technology. Obviously, a dual port video card will only run two monitors. And I can't see how it would be possible to install two PCI-E x16 since there's only one slot for that. So I'm wondering how some of you would get around this issue if you wanted to run three monitors?

I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

#14     Mar 21, 2006
  5. Hey there! I'd definitely stay AWAY from any laptops, just fyi.

UNLESS they are IBM / Lenovo.

I've had some bad experiences with some later Toshiba models,

Ciao!

Stacy

#15     Mar 21, 2006
  6. Chap Gnomey...:)

I thought 512 mb was enough?

ANY modern P4 or Athlon computer with 1GB RAM will be fine.

#16     Mar 21, 2006
  7. Who was asking about laptops? I just wanted to know how some of you would run 3 monitors when you only have:

1 PCI-E x16 slot

1 PCI-E x1 slot

2 PCI slots

By the way, what good is a PCI-E x1 slot? what kind of card uses that type of slot? Can I plug a regular pci card into that? Like say a dial-up modem or a scsi card?

#17     Mar 21, 2006
  8. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Have a look at this PNY card. I don't use, seems to be new, but looks interesting.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#18     Mar 22, 2006
  9. romik

romik

I suggest getting extended warranty up to 3 years perhaps (if reasonable $), if you have to upgrade in 1 years time, it would make it a lot easier to sell and you'll get more for it.

#19     Mar 22, 2006
  10. Laptops are fine if you pick a reliable base platform. In this regard, you can work easily with:

DELL
    HP/Compaq
    IBM

I keep most of my clients in this range and I can speak from experience (over 1,000 of these units), we have no troubles! I even offered one of my main clients a private label product that I contracted for. I provided a private manufacturer company specs and they made the machines for me (even did a cool logo). In five years, we have had three machines give trouble out of five hundred. :cool:

#20     Mar 22, 2006