About to graduate college. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mike10, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Ask yourself. Can you get a random guy on the street and have them do the job of accounting?

Why do you think anyone can just trade profitably right off the street with minimal training and minimal experience and little capital?

Think about it, would you go to a brain surgeon to remove a tumor who never went to school and only read a book on brain surgery they bought on Barnes and Noble?

Think carefully, you went to school and got an education so I hope you could add this up and figure it out.

#11     Oct 11, 2010
  2. Mike10

Mike10

Not too sure I understand what you mean. I mean I don't know if I'm going to use whatever I "learned" in school at a job. Accounting jobs have different requirements like Quickbooks (software) and other skills that aren't always taught in school.

And I don't think just anyone can trade profitably.

#12     Oct 11, 2010
  3. you did not seem to get it. I said if you thought anyone from the street can just come in and do accounting without formal training and experience.

I mean you seem to think anyone can just come in to the street without any training or experience and somehow trade and make money, no compare that to accounting. Do you think anyone can come in from the street and be an accountant?

#13     Oct 11, 2010
  4. Mike10

Mike10

I understand King. What do you think it takes to consistently trade profitably?

#14     Oct 11, 2010
  5. ... don't mind me....I am just waiting for the pitch.

:p

#15     Oct 11, 2010
  6. avoiding the delusion that the trader's luck is different when it comes to the thousands of hours of screen education, and a lot of other complexities that go along the pathway.

The number of traders who will get from $10K to easy street are order(s) of magnitude less than the ET paper traders here claim or make it out to be. Probably a couple of tenths of 1%. And again, remember that you are not different, no matter how clever you or others may think you are.

One exercise would be, go back 5-7 years to a couple of ET threads and see how many of those people are still active here. Of course there are some other reasons, but it it long enough to get past the punctured balloons of most paper traders who know they will be the next Livermore...

#16     Oct 12, 2010
  7. Mike10

Mike10

Yea Joe Pa, sometimes I think I'd be better off to give up on trading altogether and just be frugal and save.

I've sure spent thousands of hours on it and have nothing to show for it. I always had small accounts and was impatient, undisciplined. I think if I had a decent sized account like 20k I could do some damage. But who knows if it would be the type of damage I'd like. lol.

But yea, I don't know if trading is for me. Maybe I should just focus on a career and try to get rich the ol' fashioned way.

And I don't know how the global economy is going to be the next 10 years - if trading is even going to be an option anymore. Sometimes it seems like the world's gonna cave in.

#17     Oct 12, 2010
  8. A CPA, an analyst or a lawyer? Or just trade? Will any of these vocations enrich you, other than monetarily? Do any of these things interest you, or is it just about the money? Cause of it's just about the money, then you're a prostitute, so I suggest you sell your skills to the highest bidder. If you don't want to be a prostitute, then find out what it is that would have you get up early, stay up late, and do 7 days a week, all just for the joy of it.
    Live your life as if it matters, because in the end it's the only thing that does. Good luck!

#18     Oct 12, 2010
  9. To find what you love to do may take time. In the meanwhile, pimp yourself because surviving is not easy.

There are those who are lucky enough to find out what they love to do early in life and get paid for it, but that's rare.

Go on and live a good life. Get a job, get married, get a house, and enjoy a vacation at least once a year.

PA

#19     Oct 12, 2010
  10. Mike10

Mike10

Thank you PA. Great advice again.

#20     Oct 12, 2010