About to go to college.... can't invest for 4 years?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Absolute, Jan 30, 2006.

1. While I agree with Mike, I don't know if I would put it quite that way...Well, maybe if I knew you better....Anyway

If you can make that kind of return, why not pay your own tuition? I say this because I did it myself. Not by trading. I didn't know how at that point in my life. But by doing other things. It took a little longer, but really wasn't a bad experience.

You could put money into a revoccable trust (Check with a good attorney). That might provide sufficient insulation for you. You would have to nominate a principle trustee (you couldn't control the money). Perhaps a parent. At that point, I would move money into a decent group of no-load funds. One good reference is Bob Brinker's website. You could simply subscribe to his advisory service and pick a portfolio.
    He has a decent record and I like his style. Check it out.

Good luck,
    Steve

#11     Jan 30, 2006
  2. Absolute

Absolute

Well I'd have to have some employee and or owner.... colleges see that on FAFSA/CSS Profiles that you fill out for financial aid.

Basically, if I have $7000 invested under my name, that's telling the college I can pay $3500 (50%) or under my parents name 10% $700. Any profits I make will be eaten up basically.

#12     Jan 31, 2006
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Are we actually discussing the prospects of someone trading a 7000 account while going to an IVY league school and trying to compete there as well? This is an absolutely (hehe) ridiculous question/premise.

#13     Jan 31, 2006
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I mean really, and I don't say this to be mean, but some of the posters here have no sense of priorities.

#14     Jan 31, 2006
  5. and some have no sense of what it means to grow up and accept responsibility. Any other "gems of wisdom" to leave with us?

#15     Jan 31, 2006
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I'm talking about the starter not you Steve.

#16     Jan 31, 2006
  7. Okay, two comments

First, sorry I misunderstood your post. The fault is mine. I apologize.

Second, saying that in your post would help those of us who don't read minds.

Thanks
    Steve

#17     Jan 31, 2006
  8. College isnt just about what u learn, it is the experience. It by far was the best 4 1/2 years of my life, and err 3 summer sessions.

#18     Jan 31, 2006
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I am also referencing the likes of a recent thread where a kid was trying to weigh Goldman Sachs versus a trading job. I kind of think with that type of decision making ability, the starter that is, a person should stay away from trading.

#19     Jan 31, 2006
  10. Man this forum is brutal some times !!!!

Give the kid a break guys.

He's young and just trying to make a good decision, I'm sure we have all been there.

Kid, do the right thing and don't cut corners and you will be fine.

Mike is right, money or education earned honestly is TEN times more valuable then short cuts that hurt others but that doesn't mean you should be stupid and do things just beacuse they are hard, if you can be wise but honest/honorable then you should do that.

#20     Jan 31, 2006