About to get fired, and need to make estimated tax payments for my stock sales. What to do?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Steven W, Jul 3, 2019.

1. It’s an interest penalty at 6% annual rate, not a flat 6%, and it’s based only on the amount short below equally paid quarterly amounts of your tax due and what you actually paid, not the total amount. I think the withholdings count equally for each quarter, so say you end up withholding $10k and paying $7.5k in Q3+Q4. Then your $25k total of 4 quarterly amounts paid might be viewed for timing purposes as

Q1. $2.5k from 1/4 of withholding
    Q2. $2.5k from 1/4 of withholding
    Q3. $10k, $2.5k from 1/4 of withholding and $7.5 estimated
    Q4. $10k, $2.5k from 1/4 of withholding and $7.5 estimated

Whereas you were “supposed” to pay $6,250 for each quarter, under an equal amount approach. So ballpark Q1 is short $4k but you catch up and overpay that extra amount in Q3 (above the regular equal amount). Likewise Q2 is short $4k and gets caught up in Q4. So you’d pay 6% on $4k for 6 months, twice, which would come to about $240 plus a little more maybe in compound interest or waiting to pay the extra $240 until April or something. But this is what I mean that it’s not going to be a big number. If you really care, you can see all the details in the instructions for Form 2210.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2210

#11     Jul 4, 2019
    Overnight and Steven W like this.
  2. Steven W

Steven W

Thank you!!!!

#12     Jul 4, 2019
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Move to Texas(?).

#13     Jul 4, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Steven W

Steven W

I was seriously considering moving to puerto rico

#14     Jul 4, 2019
    vanzandt likes this.
  5. Steven W

Steven W

I have quite a bit in savings so I'm going to just pay it all in full and get a refund next year. But yeah next year I might move

#15     Jul 5, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Under $150K in California? You must be living in your car.

#16     Jul 6, 2019
  7. %%
    MOST any good CPA, will help you answer this question over phone, free, be polite over the phone., SteVen W.
    Federal tax, when i paid it quarterly, you simply owed last year [2018]estimated tax, on for example on 2019 federal tax; even if you made much more this year/ no penalty. BUT check with 4 or 5 CPAs, free over the phone.

SO make sure you put the right amount[ current,2019 federal tax] in a savings or checking account until its due. I'm 100% sure you should call like 5 CPAs . I get that kind of info free; first ask how much they charge per hour, +average small business tax return. I never would pay a CPA for free phone work.

I'm back to the up-trending bull Market [SPY,QQQ......]-NOT a prediction:caution::caution:

#17     Jul 29, 2019