About Thinkorswim

Discussion in 'Options' started by suspend, Feb 20, 2006.

1. I asked nicely:p actually the 1.25 is on a minimum of 10 contracts...which is what I usually do...its more if # is less..I just don't know off hand. Also I'm switching an account over from Brownco and they will give me brownco's rate which was really good for 1-2 contracts which in that account is what I'll do. No question commissions eat into your profits so I try to keep churning to a minimum.

#21     Feb 20, 2006
  2. As long as it makes a perceptible difference in the results in my trading account then "good, fast and/or cheap will work.

I am considering ToS with the main purpose of making a noticeable difference in my trading results.

I wonder if there is anyone who can say that changing to ToS has made a differnence in their trading results.

#22     Feb 20, 2006

3. yes.

TOS educational suite and support is the best in existence.

plus their liquid product ( for large traders/institutions) is unmatched for what it does.

best wishes,

surfer

#23     Feb 20, 2006
  4. Opra

Opra

Thanks to both, Donna and Ambush, for the info.

BTW, I did get their rebates for broadband internet for a couple of months. So I guess I may qualify as well.

#24     Feb 20, 2006
  5. your doing a hellofalot of trades...I don't qualify (or at least I don't THINK I qualify) for their broadband. I only do abt 4/5 trades a week...I think:confused:

#25     Feb 20, 2006
  6. Opra

Opra

Maybe enough trades, from legging and adding, ect, but my lot size is usu. small. There is a quirk in TOS's rebate program in that it rewards the number of trades, not the number of contracts (therefore higher cumulative commission per month). I am not complaining though.

#26     Feb 20, 2006
  7. WD40

WD40

I won't refer any newbie to Interactive Brokers. They are cheap, but you get what you pay for.

If you are new to options trading, you will need handholding for the next 2 years. TOS has a phone with people who answers it. If you send them an email, you get answers in less than 24hrs. On their trading platform, you can do realtime chat with their techsupport. All in all, you won't be alone with TOS.

Some people has a steeper learning curve. If you are not one of them, TOS has an education arm to help you. http://www.redoption.com . Their courses are practially free.
    Their live trading sessions are educational and entertaining. For $99 you can have direct access into the minds of the big bosses and professional traders (but don't expect to get rich from them.)

just my 2 cents.

#27     Feb 20, 2006
  8. Interesting these guys are doing a heads up job yet Optionsxpress is already public. and a hot stock.

I have not done business with thinkorswim but have seen them at the trade shows and always get a very good vibe.

Took a look at the software the other day, rather impressive (no extra charge for customers), though it seems you can't adjust the font size which is a problem if you run a high rez screen.

#28     Feb 21, 2006
  9. MTE

MTE

Yes, you can adjust the font size. You can do it from login window (before loggin in) under "Options".

#29     Feb 21, 2006
  10. Thanks for the tip. didn't make sense that you couldn't do that. My eyes are not what they used to be , but I didn't think anyone was working at that tiny size ;-).

Notice some of the screens don't seem to follow the font selection, notably, the insight tab.

#30     Feb 21, 2006