About the US System

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Sky123987, Jul 11, 2009.

1. aegis

aegis

"Doing Business records all generic procedures that are officially required for an entrepreneur to start up and operate an industrial or commercial business."

This really proves nothing. Sure, it's easy to start a business. What percentage of businesses are actually successful? Every populated area of the United States has been tapped into and large corporations have taken advantage. If I decided to start a chain of grocery stores, for example, do you think I'd be able to compete with Walmart?

Also, certain businesses are extremely difficult to start in certain parts of the US. My father, who has 20 years of experience in electrical construction, can't get an electrical contractors license in his state because he doesn't have a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. This is a new rule put in place a few years ago.

The current numbers mean nil. Lets see what those numbers look like 50-100 years from today.

#11     Jul 11, 2009

2. I would agree with you if the American people were still in
    charge. Recent events say otherwise. Too many low-lifes
    in gov.

#12     Jul 11, 2009
  3. How many are successful doesn't really matter as much as the fact you can fail, dust yourself off, try again, and no one is going to look at you like you're crazy. This is actually very important.
    I would agree that a generic number is obviously not going to capture all of the on-the-ground difficulties involved, and I'd certainly agree that there's still way too many obstacles in the way to success because of various local crazinesses. Here in NJ, for instance, you can't have an S corporation, so if you decide to incorporate, you face the added complications of paying a separate corporation tax. I tried this once, back when I still had hair, and one year my accountant slipped a digit on a surcharge on the corporation tax. I wound up paying, two years later, when they finally got around to noticing this, more in interest and penalties on that than I actually owed because of that mistake. Annoyed doesn't begin to describe how I felt about that.
    So no, I'm not going to say it's that it's all that easy, and of course every business and location is different. But our culture encourages folks to start businesses, and overall our governments aren't as intrusive as elsewhere.

#13     Jul 11, 2009
  4. Humpy

Humpy

If you want to see the USA's probable future look no further than California.
    They are reaping the rewards of selfish greed, high living and over rewarding themselves at the top.
    Too mean to share the bounty of wealth by paying a bit more tax.
    Too demanding in handouts for as little input as possible.
    The pack are closing the gap economically and just posturing with military might won't help much. How many terrorists can a state of the art, billion dollar airplane kill ? Not a lot if they hide in the cities.
    Democracy and Capitalism desperately need upgrading to get the much needed support of the 3rd world.

imho

#14     Jul 11, 2009
  5. Using the real deficit numbers from Treasury Direct .gov, and not the make believe/ underestimated official deficit number, the US ran it's first trillion dollar deficit from 9/2007 to 9/2008. So, US investors and foreign investors have to pump $1trillion + per year into our gov't just to keep it afloat. And the deficits are expected to grow with no end in sight as social security and Medicare will start to run big deficits, if they already haven't, as more baby boomers retire.

Anyone who thinks that foreign and domestic investors will continue to dump over $1trillion per year into our federal gov't indefinitely for those relatively low returns needs to wake up. The BRIC countries are due to have enormous growth once the economy starts to go forward again. Wise money would invest in those countries as the gains would be much better than treasury debt. Unless, of course, interest rates skyrocket.

In sum, at some point in the next decade the US gov't will reach a singularity point. At that time, there will be falling available investment to sustain and grow the gov't. So, either we will experience the "Fall of Rome" or politicians will be elected that dramatically cut gov't spending (see California today as a harbinger of what has to occur).

#15     Jul 11, 2009
  6. jem

jem

you ought to try living here.

Too greedy. I know families making close to 160,000 thou losing their houses.

Lets say you got three kids.

to get a middle class house in Carlsbad with good schools meant 800 to million for a mortgage 3 years ago.

So thats say 6000 to 8 grand mortgage.

property tax is a another grand a month.

Hoas, maintenance. Figure 600 to 800 a month.

Income tax to the state - figure 1200 month.

Federal governmnent what 2000 or more a month.
    Gas tax etc.

I can not believe how informed people are about how the people with jobs (non government) are getting completely screwed by taxation.

Ca dems destroyed this state with runaway spending on programs designed to increase their voting block.

#16     Jul 11, 2009
  7. zdreg

zdreg

people are clueless to the possibility of dark ages and plague coming in their lifetime.

#17     Jul 11, 2009
  8. rich leaving and moving jobs with them. High probability of above happening in west world. Infrastructure in place already. And just when we saw that light at the end of the tunnel towards permanent prosperity :eek:

#18     Jul 11, 2009
  9. when reagan was in office 300 lobbyist,,,now 36,000,,the pols stopped working for us a long time ago,,,i think we all know it

#19     Jul 11, 2009
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Little crisis, ha...

The US has been in crisis mode since the its first oilwar.

By the way just because nobody is taking over as worldpower that doesn't mean the empire is not falling...

#20     Jul 11, 2009