about tax...

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ojo, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Now start over; if you give up your residency you have no US obligations.

#21     Aug 26, 2002
  2. #22     Aug 26, 2002
  3. tjymaui

tjymaui

I may be wrong but if you were born in the US, which I assume you were since you hold a US passport but you were registered at birth in Japan in your family registry, I think you can register in Japan as a Japanese because of your parents' family registry. Thus doing so, you will automatically verify your Japanese citizenship.

While living in Japan you would need to live as a Japanese national, paying Japanese taxes, retirement, and the National Health Insurance on your income in Japan. You would also file with the IRS but you would get a $78,000 foreign income exclusion if you qualify. About trading income from the US.....I'm not sure about........

#23     Aug 30, 2002
  4. tjymaui

tjymaui

If you are a US citizen, holding a trading account in the US but live in Japan and daytrade, what rate are you taxed for capital gains?

#24     Aug 30, 2002
  5. tjymaui

tjymaui

I'm not sure but I thought the US recognizes dual citizenship......

#25     Aug 30, 2002
  6. Short term capital gain rate is equal to ordinary income rate ...

#26     Aug 30, 2002
  7. I agree.

#27     Aug 30, 2002
  8. mummes

mummes

Yes, the U.S. does allow dual citizenship. In the past, you needed to choose which citizenship you wanted to keep when reaching 18 years of age. The US changed this many years ago. BTW, I have two citizenships...

SCM

#28     Aug 30, 2002
  9. Yes, the US does but Japan does not. My understanding is that a Japanese citizen who acquires another citizenship loses his/her Japanese citizenship. I have known Japanese green-carders in the US who did not naturalize because they didn't want to lose their Japanese citizenship.

Elvis

#29     Aug 30, 2002
  10. tjymaui

tjymaui

Yes, I believe the Japanese gov't doesn't recognize nor allow dual citizenship. If you were in the US and your parents are from Japan and you were registered in the 'family registry' in Japan, you may maintain both but when in Japan, reside as a Japanese National.

When travelling in or out of Japan, you must use your Japanese passport.

#30     Aug 31, 2002