about tax...

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ojo, Aug 25, 2002.

1. ojo

ojo

the US's why?

#11     Aug 25, 2002
  2. ojo

ojo

I am very confused.....

here is what I have......

US passport because my parents immigrated here...
    also I can easily get Japanese passport if I want
    grand mother lives there

#12     Aug 25, 2002
  3. Then you are a citizen and now it is illegal with some potential loopholes depending on how much you make and how you structure your trading.

#13     Aug 25, 2002
  4. ojo

ojo

What If I get Japanese citizenship?

I want to stay as an american citizen tho :>

#14     Aug 25, 2002
  5. Doesn't work that way; unless you give up your US citizenship.

#15     Aug 25, 2002
  6. ojo

ojo

maybe I should pay properly

so to which government should I pay the taxes if I move to Japan with my parents and trade from there?

at the least I want to avoid paying taxes to the both government hehe

#16     Aug 25, 2002
  7. You are liable for US taxes in the situation you are describing; do not know about Japanese taxes.

#17     Aug 25, 2002
  8. ojo

ojo

Thank you very much.

#18     Aug 25, 2002
  9. Ojo

I currently live in Tokyo, Japan. I am a US citizen but have been here for 5 years. I am not a lawyer (worse, an accountant) but I believe I understand the basics.

The US will not allow dual citizenship so metooxx is correct that if you are currently a US citizen (which it sounds like) you cannot become a Japanese citizen unless you give up your US citizenship.

If you stay a US citizen, then unfortunately, you cannot escape US taxes either on your trading in the US or on any salary, etc. you earn while in another country. Of course the rules are somewhat complex.

As for Japan taxes, you will only be taxed here on amounts that relate to work performed in Japan, thus, you would not be taxed for any trading gains/losses related to your US trading. But currently this only works for the first 5 years and after that you become a "permanent" resident and you will be taxed on any form of income (including trading gains/losses from the US).

Hope that helps. Also, broadband services are currently cheaper than the US (about the only thing cheaper) and Japan is way ahead on wireless applications.

#19     Aug 26, 2002
  10. ojo

ojo

I am sorry I misunderstood that I havent used my passport....
    I was thinking I have

the situation is like this... My parents have a green card in the United states and I am their family member.

So I am a Japanese citizen and I have some kind of perma resident visa to stay in the United States.

This is sure because I asked my parents.

#20     Aug 26, 2002