About Linksys WRT54GS "speed booster"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daal, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Daal

Daal

Is that speed booster stuff for real?My tests shows absolute no difference in speed with and without the router

2. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

The wireless nic in your computer must also be a speed booster. Mine shows about a 15 to 40% difference in FTP throughput. 10-25% difference in website downloads and java speed tests with it enabled.

3. Ninja

Ninja

Just some side comments on this router:

I had a SMC router before and that one had pretty cool log features where everything like connection details, hacker attacks, etc. were recorded. The Linksys does not have anything like this and I really miss it.

A firmware upgrade fixed some of the initial problems, but still when starting a P2P client, the WLAN stops working. Looks like the Linksys is not able to handle both at the same time.

Overall, I would not recommend the WRT54GS.

4. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Haven't had any problems with p2p with HyperWRT 2.0 firmware. And that firmware has logging, firewall, etc. Full featured.

5. Ninja

Ninja

Yes, I was talking about the official firmware. Never tried any 3rd party firmware. Maybe I should give it a try. How about security and stability?

Can you go back from HyperWRT to Linksys anytime?

6. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

The hyperWRT 2.0 is as stable as they get. Zero problems. And you can go back to a Linksys official firmware anytime. (not that you'd want to.) You can also safely boost output power by 100%. Unit runs as cool as factory defaulted 50%. I bought the high gain antennas also.

As for security, the firewall allows many options. You can basically block whatever you want to block. Default settings are good enough but if you want to block more, the options are available to you.

There are other firmwares out there, but then tend to get a bot more complex. Especially when it comes to installation. OpenWrt is very good, but requires a more effort to get up and running.