about comouter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RichKid, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RichKid

RichKid

Which computer i must have to got 3-4 monitor with ? I mean what system of pc and what can you advice to me ! Thanks !

2. thstart

thstart

the most important part for multi-monitor configuration is your graphic card. NVIDIA has good GPU accelerator cards with 2 ports which you can use for 2 monitors. for more monitors - you need a second graphic card of the same type - because GPU accelerators use special slot - it follows you need 2 such slots on your motherboard. the next component is the OS - Windows 7 is a good choice because of the new Direct2D and Direct3D capabilities allowing to use the latest GPU's. the computer - get multi-core CPU from Intel - the software will be more compatible if you know what I mean. the motherboard - to be able to feed the GPU's with enough data fast enough get motherboard with latest Intel chipset.

from all of this follows you need a very powerful computer and the main problem you will face is the power supply. it will be very expensive to use more than 2 monitors/computer because of the power supply. better configure 2 separate computers with 2 monitors each.

Anandtech and Tomshardware are good sources for advanced computing.

3. Most of the multi-monitor and trading computer discussions are done in the "hardware" forum, not trading software. Take a browse.

Most of the computer models would support multiple monitors. The main thing you need to look, probably, is the available slots for your graphic cards. Most popular (inexpensive) graphic cards can drive 2 monitors. If you want to drive 4 monitors, you need 2 cards. Though Matrox makes some single card to drive 4 mons if you are tight on available slots.

4. Overkill.

I have Q9550, 4 monitors, 2 x NVidia NVS285 PCI-E graphics cards ($40 each new off eBay) , 8GB memory 3 x hard drives in a $80 Coolermaster case which comes with a 430 watt power supply. Runs 64 bit Linux. It is under constant heavy load because it is running the distributed computing project http://www.climateprediction.net when it would otherwise be idle. It is completely stable and is only rebooted for very occasional kernel upgrades.

If anything the quad core CPU is overkill for trading - dual would be sufficient.

More recent low power NVidia cards that are suitable are the NVS 290 (dual head) and NVS 440 (quad head).

5. thstart

thstart

Runs 64 bit Linux.

6. thstart

thstart

More a server like environment - not a GPU accelerator, non CUDA, slow Direct2D, slow Direct3D, probably 5 years old technology.

Not a modern desktop technology.

7. But it does the job just as well as something that costs five times as much. Who cares if it has CUDA? How many here use CUDA or even know what it is? If you want to use CUDA then buy something that supports CUDA. Use appropriate technology for the job.

Why pay thru the nose for stuff that has no practical advantage and then pay again for the wasteful excess use of power?

If you want to play games then buy something for games.

8. thstart

thstart

Do you evaluated Windows 7? Its Direct2D, Direct3D - supports CUDA based GPU's out of the box. It is not for games.

No? Why do you talk then?

linux for trading desktop? which trading software do you use under linux?

9. This has not been my experience.

I bought a low-end HP SR5610F last year (processor Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4800+). I put in 3 PCI base EVGA cards (each support 2 monitors) to run a total of 6 monitors. The HP box only came with a 250W power supply. I had this run for over a year without any problem. I read the box label. These dual port cards are rated for 250W or so each. The power does not seem to be a problem. But the temperature could be. In the summer it tends to get very hot inside the box. I took off the side panel and installed a $15 4-inch cooling fan inside the box to further help air circulation. If you run a computer at home, not having a side panel, though "unsightly" to some, may not be a big deal.

It really depends on how one trades. For most traders, a couple of monitors with charts here and there... I think a low-end computer would be adequate. Unless one does a lot of back-test number crunching stuff, or real-time scanning many megabits per second tick data.

Some trading computer specialty stores sell their computers for $8000 a piece. Depends on what you need. If one can do with a $400 box why pay $8000 for one, right?

P.S. If the power supply is indeed a problem, one can always but a higher wattage power supply (even the same size) for $100-$200. Why get a second computer just to drive 2 more monitors?

#10     Mar 28, 2010