About 40% of US adults are obese, government survey finds

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Feb 27, 2020.

1. https://apnews.com/a2154b643d53afae2a3654f722a9b60a

[​IMG]

NEW YORK (AP) — About 4 in 10 American adults are obese, and nearly 1 in 10 is severely so, government researchers said Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention findings come from a 2017-18 health survey that measures height and weight. More than 5,000 U.S. adults took part.

The survey found that the obesity rate was 42% — higher than the 40% found in a similar 2015-16 study. The severe obesity rate was more than 9% in the new survey, up from the 8% figure in the previous one.

Those increases aren’t considered statistically significant: The survey numbers are small enough that there’s a mathematical chance the rates didn’t truly rise.

But it’s clear that adult obesity rates are trending up, said the CDC’s Cynthia Ogden, one of the report’s authors.

A half-century ago, about 1 in 100 American adults were severely obese. Now it’s 10 times more common.

The obesity rate has risen about 40% in the last two decades.

The findings suggest that more Americans will get diabetes, heart disease and cancer, said Dr. William Dietz, a George Washington University obesity expert.

It also will be increasingly difficult for doctors to care for so many severely obese people, Dietz said. He has estimated that on average, every primary care doctor treating adults has about 100 severely obese patients.

“How’s a provider going to do that? Severe obesity really requires very intensive therapy,” he said.

The CDC did not report new obesity numbers for kids and teens. That may come out later this year, Ogden said. In 2015-16, 18.5% of kids and teens were obese and just under 6% were severely obese.

Dietz faulted the government for not pushing for more measures to promote physical activity and better eating. Building more sidewalks and passing a national tax on sugary beverages could make a big difference, he said.

Obesity — which means not merely overweight, but seriously overweight — is considered one of the nation’s leading public health problems.

It is measured by the body mass index, or BMI, a figure calculated from a person’s weight and height. A BMI of 25 or greater is considered overweight, a BMI of 30 and above is obese, and a BMI of 40 or above is severely obese.

A person who is 5-foot-4, the average height for U.S. women, is considered obese at a weight of 174 pounds and severely obese above 232 pounds. A person who is 5-foot-9, about the average height for men, is deemed obese at 203 pounds and severely obese at 270.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  2. I would have guessed higher...

Bugenhagen likes this.
  3. Well, obese is more than just overweight. And at 42%, that's almost one out of every 2 adults. I'd say that's a pretty hefty proportion.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  4. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Obese people are less intelligent and men prone to rages from their testosterone being absorbed by the fat.

Explains it all really.

5. This I didn't know. Although it would explain 1) the success of Fox News and 2) all that Republican ire. :D

Bugenhagen likes this.
  6. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

It is 100% about Fox, an endocrinologist I know says half his middle aged male patients are just ragers with excess abdominal fat (endo also). Solution, low carb diet.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  7. ~Okay, but I don't know about the low carb diet. Good carbs. Controlled carb consumption. But I don't know about low carb necessarily. I think it's faddish. (But then, I'm not an endocrinologist, as you might have guessed.)

8. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Well just water and no bread, Mediterranean style. Helped me a bit, when I got to 308 pounds my mood was terrible. :) Bearing in mind I'm tall so that was only mildly tubby.

When I'm in a mood now I just go to the bookshop and ask them if they have "How to deal with disappointment without killing".

9. I think the Mediterranean diet includes bread. I'd just choose wisely and not overdo it. My guess is that the most workable, long-term solution lies somewhere in the middle rather than at either extreme. As with most things in life.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  10. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

What? not the one he gave me. I was pleased with being allowed to make sandwiches using meat as the bread for my meat.

I was getting a lot of inflammation in my joints, that was the main issue. Quitting the carbs (quitting sugar was not so bad) made a massive difference. I'm not joking here either, my overall feeling of intelligence shot up, I was seeing trading far far more clearly with no issues from stress.

#10     Feb 27, 2020