Abortion Ban?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by estrader, Feb 24, 2006.

Do you support ban on abortions?

1. No. Let liberals abort themselves.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Yes. We need more liberal voters.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/abortion_rights_debate

S.D. House Approves Abortion Ban Bill

PIERRE, S.D. - The Legislature on Friday approved a ban on nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a direct legal assault on Roe v. Wade.

Republican Gov. Mike Rounds said he was inclined to sign the bill, which would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless it was necessary to save the woman's life. The measure would make no exception in cases of rape or incest.

Many opponents and supporters of abortion rights believe the
    U.S. Supreme Court is more likely to overturn its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion now that Justices John Roberts and
    Samuel Alito are on the bench.

Planned Parenthood, which operates the only abortion clinic in South Dakota, has pledged to sue over the measure, which would become law July 1. The clinic does about 800 abortions a year.

The House passed the bill 50-18 on Friday. The Senate approved the measure 23-12 earlier this week.

Under the measure, doctors could get up to five years in prison for performing an illegal abortion.

The governor said he believes it would be better to eliminate abortion in a series of steps, but some abortion opponents want a court challenge that could wipe out abortion in one fell swoop.

"I've indicated I'm pro-life and I do believe abortion is wrong, and that we should do everything we can to save lives," Rounds said. "If this bill accomplishes that, then I am inclined to sign the bill into law."

During debate on the measure, lawmakers were told that an anonymous donor has pledged to give the state $1 million to defend the abortion ban in court. The Legislature is setting up a special account to accept donations for the legal fight.

"I can tell you first-hand we've had people stopping in our office trying to drop off checks to promote the defense of this legislation already," Rounds said.

Opponents of the bill argued that abortion should at least be allowed in cases involving rape, incest and a threat to a women's health.

If a woman who is raped becomes pregnant, the rapist would have the same rights to the child as the mother, said Krista Heeren-Graber, executive director of the South Dakota Network Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault.

"The idea the rapist could be in the child's life ... makes the woman very, very fearful. Sometimes they need to have choice," Heeren-Graber said.

2. Unconstitutional.

The state does not have a right to dictate what a individual can do with their body.

Also, why is the adoption rate in anti-abortion house holds lower than the adoption rates for pro-abortion house holds? Also, why do anti-abortion individuals support bringing more unwanted children into this world when they gleefully cut poor childrens programs? It is because they are evil people.

3. Really? Call 911 and tell them you are going to committ suicide and then tell me the state can't tell you what to do with your body.

Ask Jack Kevorkian he'll tell you differently.

4. You forgot to provdie links/references to studies supporting your sentences.

5. South Dakota chicks will fuck in South Dakota and have abortions in North Dakota. Conservative South Dakota dads, husbands and boyfriends will end up paying a double or triple price for the procedure. Big fucking deal, do they really think they hurt California or Massachusets liberals? They screwed themselves royally.

6. this is my state so i am following this story closely. its not quite that simple. the stated goal of this legislation is to force a vote in the supreme court and impose this law on the whole country. they think that since bush has put two possible anti abortion people on the supreme court now is the time to act. it will be interesting to see how far it goes. this state is controlled by the fundamentalist mindset.

7. Pabst

Pabst

Somehow the right to assassinate a fetus is considered a more sacrosanct legal privilege than the right to smoke a joint outside in the nude while placing a bet with a bookie.

Ever notice how those who are such dedicated libertarians when it comes to supporting a woman's right to choose are the first to advocate that the IRS have grater latitude via higher taxes to extort your wages so you can avoid prison? Or denying you your 2nd amendment right to self-defense? Or not believing that business owners or landlords should have a right to hire or rent to whomever they please. Or failing to protect your hard earned property from the seizure of eminent domain. Or give inner city children the ability through vouchers to choose a non-underperforming school. The left are the biggest loZZZer hypocrites imaginable.

8. You're right but the result is still going to be the same. They are not going to "impose this law on the whole country", they want to overturn Roe v Wade which will leave it up to individual states to allow or ban abortions. Best case conservative scenario - Roe is overturned, abortions are banned in South and North Dakota and their residents have to fly to California and Oregon where abortions will never be banned, abortions are banned in Sourth and North Carolina and their residents end up traveling to New York and New Jersey. They are still screwing themselves.

A solid majority of americans (including majority of South Dakotans) are pro-choice, thanks to South Dakota politicians for reminding the public how they should vote in November.
    http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2005/50StateAbortion0805SortedbyState.htm

9. who say the talibans are gone?
    they are now residing in north dakodata.

10. Pabst

Pabst

Where's the cocksucker kingcobra gone? Ooh he's on ET.

#10     Feb 24, 2006