Able to recognize good trading Opportunities....

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by JamesEM, May 7, 2007.

1. JamesEM

JamesEM

Thanks for the words of support!:)

#11     May 11, 2007
  2. hang in there, it's hard with a smaller account.

my 2k account had a max winner of about $500 so far

trade per-share pricing for large stocks, but i recommend low-priced stocks with flat-fee commish. i pay $10 a trade, 20 roundtrip

#12     May 11, 2007
  3. Until you get to over $25k at least, I think you should change to a very low or no commission broker. When you are only averaging $30 per trade profit, $13-$16 in and $13-$16 out is effectively 1/2 the profit.

#13     May 11, 2007
  4. target0

target0

When i started i was also moving my stops trying to protect smaller profits. I figured out that for me, this was a big impediment to making money. I really had to force myself to hang on until i reached my projected target and developed very strict rules for raising a stop. i know this is different for everyone, but for me, giving a stock some room to trade yields much higher gains than letting a small winner get away every now and then.

Another thing that I changed that had a profound impact on my trading was to stop playing the what would of- could-of game with myself. If I see an opportunity but don’t take it for whatever reason, it just wasn’t an opportunity for me after all. I am not saying this is a problem for you, rather saying it used to be a big one for me. I taught myself to look at what I do and if I see that making an adjustment might afford me more or better opportunities, I will modify my strategy to take advantage of them. But I try hard not to beat myself up over what could have happened if I had only done this or that. It made a big difference in my results.

Also, considering your account size and the high commissions you are paying, it doesn't sound like you are doing all that bad.

#14     May 11, 2007
  5. 1. Trade in the direction of the indexes.

2. Never buy all at once

#15     May 12, 2007
  6. JamesEM

JamesEM

Thanks for all the responses. Some of the different experiences and opinions give me new ideas for how I might improve/change some of the habits which are holding me back in my trading.

Target0: I found your comments on targets and hindsight particularly helpful... :) I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

P.S Anybody from London?? I'm eager to meet up and talk trading!

#16     May 12, 2007
  7. ggoyal

ggoyal

use interactiv brokers. using retail is worthless. if your swing trading u could use retail. but if scalping for 30,40,50-100$ at a time, use IB or some other DAT

#17     May 12, 2007