Abercrombie and Fitch-discrimination or capitalism?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Well, why would racial profiling ever need to end?

Obviously you see some problem with it. Thankfully you're not the one making decisions about crime prevention.

Same thing with profiling Arabs. When, today, Arabs and Muslims in general have a virtual monopoly on terrorism, what sense does it make to waste time checking some old whitie's bags and letting a bunch of ragheads waltz past? I mean, duh!

Rearden, so what if I'm young and 'naive'. I still think I have a pretty good point here. You try and base your views on some precious principles you like to keep pretending are the ONLY rational ones to hold. I say that sometimes principles need to give way to some common sense.

Since racism has been such a massive problem for humanity through the ages, and especially in America, is it really such a bad thing to have anti-discrimination laws in place when it comes to mass workplace hirings, where discrimination is readily detectable? Maybe not, and, as I said, the anything-goes point of view makes a lot of good points, so maybe I'm wrong on this one. Still, I wouldn't call it 'naive'. (Personally, I'm tempted to think that those that advocate the big O -- and it's Orgasm -- as leading to some wonderland are suffering from a bit of naivety.)

#41     Dec 9, 2003
  2. Why would racial profiling ever need to end?

Sounds like you have never been subject to racial profiling.

#42     Dec 9, 2003
  3. Alfonso...so at first you defend the practice of racial profiling, and then you write in favor of workplace anti-discrimination laws.

At first glance these seem like opposite viewpoints, but they really are not. They're both pro- Big Government. You seem to admire government as some great all-powerful problem solver, and I think you're too intelligent to keep holding this false belief into your mid-twenties.

As for racial profiling, I'm sort of conflicted. When a good friend of mine is unfairly singled out by the cops because of his race, this infuriates me. However, since Muslims have a near-monopoly on nihilistic terrorism, it does make sense to scrutinize them more closely than other people.

No easy answers.

#43     Dec 10, 2003