Abercrombie and Fitch-discrimination or capitalism?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 7, 2003.

1. ktm

ktm

Of course not. White people cannot be discriminated against in this country. From the Univ of Mich decision to the fat guy who was beaten by the police last week (and later died from exhaustion), calling them "crackers, rednecks" and a few other things during the episode...and the problem was that white cops were trying to subdue a black man, please...very little mention in the media of this.

Go A & F. Good for them. Glad it's working out for them.

#21     Dec 8, 2003

2. A fair point. I would say it's a little different, though.

I'm guessing that 'BET' is some radio or tv station? If so, I think it's highly unlikely that they had an ad in the paper for it, where thousands of people turn up to fill hundreds of positions.

In the radio/tv case, it's just one person, showing the discrmination is going to be a lot harder than if thousands of people, of all races, turn up for the A&F jobs and yet somehow only white guys get them. The discrimination in the latter is so much more blatant and, probably, much harder felt than in the former.

Btw, is the only thing minorities do in America "whine"? :)

#22     Dec 8, 2003
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes but an important point being left out here is that A&F has nothing wrong with black people per se, they don't like to hire ugly white people either. And to go a step further they don't hire fat people either. In fact one could argue by eliminating all minorities, ugly people, fat people, well thats like 95% of the population! LOL. So if blacks and asians and latinos can sue then why can't the ugly fat people sue? See the problem we have here. The minorities don't have a case because clearly A&F is not hiring a lot of white people as well. In fact, my guess is that a good looking back jock with 6 pack abs would get the job over a fat ugly white kid.

#23     Dec 8, 2003

4. Well, that's just your guess. Which, I take it, isn't born out by actual results.

So, at least if you're white you've got a shot at getting the job. If you're black, it appears, forget it -- no matter how good you look.

Also, I don't think being discriminated against because of ugliness of fatness has had remotely comparable historical consequances of racial discrimination. Which is precisely why we want to avoid it now.

#24     Dec 8, 2003
  5. As long as A&F is hiring good looking wasps because they do a better job at conveying their "look" and selling their merchandise, then the government should have absolutely no say in this matter. Now if they came out and said "we won't hire shines cause they are too stupid to ring up the cash register", then I think there might be a problem with this...

I wonder if someone would hire me to market their "doo-rags"???

Next they are gonna attack GQ and force them to put fat people on the cover. Or force NBC to employ stuttering pricks to broadcast the news. NBA is gonna have to go out and employ overwieght short guys. And on and on...

#25     Dec 8, 2003
  6. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

I agree, but there has to be some type of written standard to hire good looking people. How would you define good looking? I'm sure the NBA would employ a fat mofo if he could show the stats to back up his game.

#26     Dec 8, 2003
  7. D-d-d-d-d-don't g-g-get me st-t-t-tarted.

#27     Dec 8, 2003
  8. Let A&F advertise what they want, no one complains to FUBU or SeanJohn about the racial make-up of their ads.

#28     Dec 8, 2003
  9. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Actually seanjohn employs many white models, but isn't this about employing people at A&F stores and not necessarily just models for A&F?

#29     Dec 8, 2003
  10. I don't ever remember seeing an A&F ad in Jet Magazine or Ebony.

Then again, I don't ever recall seeing a Jheri Curl ad in Vanity Fair or Town and Country Magazine.

#30     Dec 8, 2003