“Ayn Rand and Jesus”

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by nitro, Oct 3, 2011.

Is Ayn Rand and-Jesus at odds with each other at its core?

1. Yes. We must either choose morals or economic well being.

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No. It just takes hierarchical modes of thinking to unify our entire belief systems.

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. I don't care.

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. nitro

nitro

I will say this however, it is wrong to judge someone because they want to charge for something. If you want to give away your efforts, knowledge etc for food or free, I will look up to you.

But is a grave mistake to look down on someone who wants to charge for it. If someone would rather pay me than get it free from you, don't be jealous, or vice versa. Allow freedom to choose without negative feelings. It is like Open Source software, it is mostly free, but we pay for it when we feel it is necessary for whatever reason. Everybody feels good, and everybody is able to participate on some level. Even Microsoft has come to understand this and has embraced Open Source on many projects.

Jesus is the ultimate "Open Source" advocate, not just in software but in life.

A large percentage of CEOs in this country per capita are Jews. Since they don't have any stigma related to making money and "New Testament" morals. They also have a day of atonment, where any "wrongs" they may have "committed" can be done away with on one day, as opposed to worrying about it 365 days a year. The same will happen elsewhere in the world that doesn't have the Christian moral belief structure. Hindus for example don't judge, they simply observe events as they occur without judgement. Lots of Jews convert to Hinduism since it is somewhat inline with their core beliefs.

To understand Christians, look at usury laws, and look at who took the role of lending money in the middle ages.

#41     Dec 5, 2011
  2. Ok - sarcasm just doesn't work online....

Yeah - I think Jesus really didn't give a shit about money. It's written that he said as much several times. In fact, the only place it says he gets really physically violent is with the money-changers (wonder why....?)

And then the whole Judas betrayal thing. It's not for ideology - it's for money.

#42     Dec 5, 2011
  3. Yes.

#43     Dec 5, 2011
  4. Equally, also wrong to judge someone for wanting to do it 'free' as you say. Although there is nothing free about getting enough food and shelter and other needs in exchange for what you do. That just means you get enough for what you need, perhaps even all your needs, and give what you can/need to to get it.

I'm pretty sure Jesus would have no problems or few problems with a more equal exchange of cash that better represents his teachings, although really I'm no expert at all! There's a lot to the open source argument, but there's no reason everyone can't be employed and have enough mediums of exchange to get all their needs plus some.

#44     Dec 5, 2011
  5. To take it one step further, Jesus taught us that we should not be at peace with the world. And in fact, the road to peace often meanders through strife.

I always found it interesting that so many expected Jesus to play a significant part in toppling Roman dictatorship and ending the opression. Yet He made it clear that was not his role.

As we see in this thread, people often contemplate what they perceive as the erosion of society. But could it be that Human nature hasn't changed since our creation? Sure we might have cell phones, cars, microwaves, etc. now, but don't we strive for the same things our ancient ancestors did? Is it possible that in some ways things are better and in some ways worse?

We need to ask bigger questions about how to fill that inherent emptyness within each of us and keep searching until we find the answer.

#45     Dec 5, 2011
  6. Well, you can't make anybody anything. Has nothing to do with wealth or poverty.

But - here's an odd twist to ponder. What if there is an actual inversion in what matters in the larger realm of things (this is assuming that you existed before you were born, and will continue to do so after you "die", of course...). What if the poorest exist to be the teachers of all others (and no, I don't mean intellectually...)

#46     Dec 5, 2011
  7. nitro

nitro

The problem with this system is that in this country, you have to save for retirement. If all you ever get is EXACTLY what you need now as a young man (Jesus died young he didn't have to worry about retiring), what do you do when you are too old to work, or your experience is no longer up to date because you are too old to keep up? What then do you exchange for food and shelter?

See? It doesn't work unless it is backed by society. Capitalism has no use for old people.

#47     Dec 5, 2011
  8. nitro

nitro

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5

#48     Dec 5, 2011
  9. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Shakespeare's Hamlet: Act 1. Scene V.

#49     Dec 5, 2011
  10. nitro

nitro

God is dead - Nietzsche
    Nietzsche is dead - God

A T-Shirt I own.

#50     Dec 5, 2011