Aapl

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by nitro, Oct 11, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

===
    "16:36 AAPL Apple Computer beats by $0.01, disappoints on iPod shipments, guides Q1 EPS, revs above consensus (51.59 +1.22)

Reports Q4 (Sep) earnings of $0.38 per share, excluding non-recurring items, $0.01 better than the Reuters Estimates consensus of $0.37; revenues rose 56.5% year/year to $3.68 bln vs the $3.74 bln consensus. iPod shipments came in at 6.45 mln vs 7.45 mln street expectation (9 estimates ranging from 6.7-8.5 mln). Co issues upside guidance for Q1, sees EPS of $0.49, ex $0.03 charge vs. $0.48 consensus; sees Q1 revs of $4.7 bln vs. $4.5 bln consensus."
    ===

This stock has been very strong recently. It is getting hammered after hours -9% as I write this.

It will be interesting to see how this developes, not just for Apple shares, but perhaps as a sentiment for the whole tech sector. If this is profit taking, no biggie. If not, :eek: From the signs of NQ, I don't like it...

nitro

2. Maybe buy GOOG puts?

They report tommorow and are due for a sell-off.

3. Buy on the rumor, sell on the news?

4. nitro

nitro

The IV on GOOG opts are probably astronomical. I don't know...

nitro

5. What you talkin' about, Willis? GOOG reports OCT 20th.

6. nitro

nitro

===
    17:59 AAPL Apple Computer on Conf Call V-- call has ended (51.59 +1.22) -Update-

Co says supply constraint is a component constraint but will not go into detail on which one; 'we're focused on getting as many out there and as quickly as we can, but at this point we can't project when supply will meet demand'... 'would never allow manufacturing capacity to get in the way of shipping alot of these products'... iPod sales accelerated significantly after the launch of the Nano in Sept, co able to ship over 1 mln Nano units in the 2.5 weeks that remained; fell far short of demand and ended with an enormous backlog.... ASPs were reasonably consistent from the JunQ... asked if problems in constraint had to do with mismatch between 4 and 2 giga Nanos; co says problems are due to staggering constraint... Stock trading at $46.25, -5.24 in after hours.
    ===

nitro

7. Thanks.......I stand corrected. Gives me more time on the Puts:)

8. I was short AAPL from 55.15 (mean reversion trade). I covered at 51 yesterday thinking if they announce new products, blow away estimates, and raise guidance all my profits would be gone and I'd have a loss. I could've taken some profits and let the rest of it run buy I have mixed feelings (doubts) about averaging. Fuck it I'm gonna try averaging in and out now. The danger is that it may lead to overtrading but going all in can lead to the dangers of trying to pick tops and bottems.
    Anyway I think AAPL is a market outperform. Once they come out with the Intel/XP MACs and IBooks, they will be #1 in computer/labtop sales.
    BTW why buy SNDK flash memory when you can just use your IPod for storage.

9. I have a ipod shuffle and I can only use it for data storage on computers that don't have itunes installed. When I try to use it on my home computer i can only access music files.

10. nitro

nitro

Recovering some this morning pre-market.

Interesting...

nitro

#10     Oct 12, 2005