AAPL & TXN earnings after close

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by S2007S, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Sales in ASIA were +42%
    The iPhone goes on sale in China next month.
    Growth, growth, and more growth!

#11     Oct 19, 2009
  2. S2007S doesn't have a clue.

He posted 10 times today and every single one of his posts confirms that he has no business being involved in the stock market. He has no idea how it works.

:)

#12     Oct 19, 2009
  3. Arnie

Arnie

The only negative I saw, was gross margins a little light...less than a percent. That is only important if its starts a trend. The other concern is the fact they can't bring to iPhone to market as quicks as demand due to manufacturing constraints. What a problem to have :D

#13     Oct 19, 2009
  4. aresky

aresky

COMMENTARY ON APPLE:

SUSHIL WAGLE, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, J&W SELIGMAN

"I like the fact that even their guidance was very good. Normally their guidance is a little tepid. Their revenue guidance is about $11.4 billion at midpoint and the Street is right around there, which is usually not the case.

"Overall, very, very solid. I think the stock is going to inch its way up to $250... slowly."

SHANNON CROSS, ANALYST, CROSS RESEARCH

"These are phenomenal results -- and use that word. You know, it proves that even in a challenging economy people are willing to pay for what they perceive to be high quality product and a good value product.

"It's fantastic earnings for this economy. Actually, it's great number for any economy. It just shows the strength of Apple. It reaffirms that Apple is the leading consumer electronics company.

"The number of Macs sold shows that Windows 7 has not been a threat to the Apple franchise."

PHIL ORLANDO, CHIEF EQUITY MARKET STRATEGIST, FEDERATED

INVESTORS

"The fact that they beat as aggressively as they have tells me that they are selling music, telephones and personal computers in a market where everyone has thought up until now that the consumer is dead.

"So clearly the rumors of the demise of the American consumer have been greatly exaggerated. Either that or Apple is just doing (such) a phenomenal job that consumers can't help themselves."

MIKE MCGUIRE, ANALYST, GARTNER RESEARCH

"Given that everyone said the pre-recorded music area was flat, we are seeing a little bit of an increase in pre-recorded music sales.
    "It would appear that this is an increasingly mobile world for Apple.

"This shows 185 percent revenue growth for the iPhone. In light of this current economic situation that would seem to be an astounding number."

BRIAN MARSHALL, ANALYST, BROADPOINT AMTECH

"Clearly Apple has the greatest product cycle on the planet today with the iPhone.

"With less than 5 percent market share of the wireless space and the PC space, I think they are going to have a very bright future.

"I think this is the best company on the planet from a technology perspective, and I don't see their momentum slowing down any time soon -- by the looks of the numbers they're accelerating.

"From a fundamental perspective, I think these guys are going to continue to execute."

JANE SNOREK, ANALYST, FIRST AMERICAN FUNDS

"These are huge numbers tonight. Apple is probably the best growth story in tech, maybe one of the best growth stocks in the market. I bet this stock can go to $250 in six to nine months.

"Usually Christmas and back-to-school are correlated and Apple usually has a gigantic Christmas quarter. This makes me think Apple will have a great Christmas.

"They had a 17 percent increase in Macs, and what is the PC market as a whole? They might be lucky if it's flat by the end of the year.

"People are worried about the consumer, and Apple PCs and Apple phones are more expensive. Clearly, right now the consumer doesn't care. For some reason consumers will spend more money to get Apple.

"The rumor is that the new (Apple) tablet will be coming out in the first quarter, $700 to $800. That will be accretive and won't cannibalize."

DANIEL ERNST, ANALYST, HUDSON SQUARE RESEARCH

"It's outstanding -- it's even above the overly bullish estimate inflation that always goes on on the Street.

"While we knew they were gaining share in those categories -- PCs and phones -- it's still surprising to see this degree of outperformance. But that's just part of the Apple story: They're gaining share with premium-priced products.

"If you look at it on a global basis, they have 3.8 percent market share in PCs, and you can't even measure the market share they have in phones as there are 1.1 billion phones sold every year.

"They could, in our estimate, double PC market share over the next 5 or so years, and if iPhone continues to gradually grab some share, earnings could double."

COMMENTARY ON TEXAS INSTRUMENTS:

DOUG FREEDMAN, ANALYST, BROADPOINT AMTECH

"These are strong results that were fairly well-expected given how we've had strong recovery across the semi-conductor industry and the company's mid-quarter update.

"The thing people are going to be focused on is the EPS guidance going forward being at least 10 percent above the Street at the mid-point. So we really do have a pretty good increase in Street expectations and the numbers consensus should move up nicely."

ED SNYDER, ANALYST, CHARTER EQUITY RESEARCH

"They looked very good, they did better all the way round. Analog was good, wireless was strong, no extra inventory.

"They were down last slightly from last year. It's clear that the recovery for the semi-conductor guys is both real and not inventory-driven. That gives a lot of people hope that we're not seeing a false start, this is actually real demand.

"The outlook's stronger than expected which is the hallmark of a recovery.

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotS...091019?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=11618

#14     Oct 19, 2009
  5. T can hit $30 by the end of the week, I think they report on Thursday.

#15     Oct 19, 2009
  6. ess1096

ess1096

I get your point brother, but the 2003 bull market wasn't up 65% in 7 months. It took 36 months, THREE YEARS, for that bull market to make the gains that this market has made in 7 months. Apples and oranges.

#16     Oct 19, 2009
  7. We also didn't get a 10 sigma drop in the last 20 yrs, go figure.

Markets rhyme, not repeat.

I hope you can at least agree not to fight the tape.

#17     Oct 19, 2009
  8. ess1096

ess1096

Absolutely. The trend is always your friend.

#18     Oct 19, 2009
  9. aapl is less than 1 percent of the mobile game and will never be in a position to challenge. Nokia has over 45 percent aapl and rimm are just boy toys and yes we like them too. Does anyone really believe the numbers, aapl all time high. The price of aapl or any other stock has very little to do with the numbers it has to do with where the market markers, banks and funds want the price to be until they do not.

#19     Oct 19, 2009
  10. LOL and you know tons abt the markets...you damn office boy..go get me my cup of coffee

#20     Oct 21, 2009