“An Entire Generation May Now Look At The Stock Market As A Losing Proposition."

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, May 11, 2009.

1. stop with the dramatization already. this is just a downturn/bear market like the one before, which is like the one before that, which is.....

#21     May 11, 2009
  2. Couple of months ago on CNBC, Art Cashin said there was about a 30 yr memory lapse in the mkts.
    In another 30 yrs, everyone will have forgotten, or say "It's different this time", and the mkt will roar.
    Then get beat down again.
    Over and over.
    As Linda Ellerbee used to say, "...and so it goes..."

#22     May 11, 2009
  3. Nobody trusts anything anymore. That's a pretty darn good place to start if people want to make some changes.

#23     May 12, 2009
  4. LOL. All I'm saying is that people are stupid or forgetful to know any better. It's only when they become unsuspecting sheeps of some huge bubble do they have the guts to write crap like “An Entire Generation May Now Look At The Stock Market As A Losing Proposition." (This is directed not towards the OP but the author of the article.)

But before long, this same author will most likely write some shit like how average Joe Sixpack can trust the integrity of our financial markets. These boneheaded financial journalists are equally culpable for the mess that we're in.

#24     May 12, 2009
  5. People who follow the markets forget how little the average person knows.

Go to any website on the net that is frequented by the average mutual fund, 401K type and tell me they're out and wont be back. LOL! Ridiculous.

They think this is a once in a generation opportunity to buy stocks. Who knows, maybe they're right. Time will tell.

#25     May 12, 2009
  6. once in a generation opps usually come when there is protracted pain.. a multiyear event,... atleast 5.

#26     May 12, 2009
  7. oh whatever. never underestimate the power of greed. how much inflow into equities has there been since march?

people said the same thing about the nasdaq after the 2000 implosion. but that generation of investors that was burned quickly forgot about what happened and was back in the market by 2003.

#27     May 12, 2009
  8. dude learn some stock market history. The book intelligent investor (which is worthless for trading but is useful for "general knowledge") talks about how people in 1948 overwhelmingly thought stocks were incredibly risky and that is because the depression squeezed the desire out of them to invest in stocks.

This episode will no doubt dampen the desire to invest. I mean, when the market essentially has not done squat for several years instead of growing by 8% as advertised it is a wake up call.

#28     May 12, 2009
  9. I agree with blackjack on this one. People have very short memories. While the public will be cautious about investing in stocks for a while, they will forget the crash as soon as earnings start growing again.

#29     May 12, 2009