“A miracle is needed to avoid recession”

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, Oct 31, 2007.

1. so I buy $100 / barrel oil for my factory and try to make something to compete with the Chindians... sounds like a plan...

#31     Nov 2, 2007
  2. It was only 5 or six years ago our Australian dollar was buying 50-60 US cents now its 93, almost parity. Our exporters over that period have been making money, in the last 6 years our index has doubled!

The Japanese know the value of a "weak" currency and they manipulate the shit out of their yen. A "weak" (competitive) currency is an opportunity. Take advantage of the opportunities which present themselves.

The glass is half full. Divorce your wives and see the good in the world! Living with those "high maintanence bitches" always wanting their Cartier stuff etc. can make one depressed when you have to buy things with your dollar$.

#32     Nov 2, 2007
  3. I'm not a gloom and doom person like many around here, i.e. I don't believe the financial universe is going to implode and we should all head for the Mosquito Coast.

But, that said, what you may be missing is that there really is a fundamental difference: for the first time, many of the smaller third world countries actually have much better economic fundamentals than the good ol US of A. Our economics are very weak in many key areas: we have a trade deficit, a budget deficit, a credit crisis, poor savings rate, credit burdens in both corporate and private sectors, etc., etc. - this list could go on.

I don't feel I'm being unpatriotic by saying that - it's just a fact. Yes, we have excellent freedom, creativity and technology in this country and that will probably always make us the leader in many key areas and I wouldn't want to be a citizen anywhere else.

But if our economy has fundamental weaknesses, we need to be honest about it...

#33     Nov 2, 2007
  4. I agree totally with you here. I own a lot of US exporters and they're doing very well...

And I've got a good woman - I'm not getting rid of her either!

#34     Nov 2, 2007
  5. LOL up is up, chump

When the dow goes up 20% my stocks go up 50% and EWZ and FXi go up 40%, so either way I beat inflation and make lots of money.

#35     Nov 2, 2007
  6. LOL up is up, chump

When the dow goes up 20% my stocks go up 50% and EWZ and FXi go up 40%, so either way I beat inflation, falling dollar and make lots of money.

#36     Nov 2, 2007