A wiff of truth about Single Payer and Medicare

Discussion in 'Economics' started by truehawk, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Good luck fighting with your insurance company if you get truly sick. I'm sure they'll pay.... eventually, assuming you crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's on your original application. And then good luck with your new premiums that reflect your new risk level to your private insurance company.

#11     Sep 27, 2009
  2. The cost of the fraud is already IN THE PRESENT COSTS.

Medicare would look VASTLY better then the insurance companies if the fraudlent claims could be reduced. But it presently looks better than the private insurers in SPITE of the fraud.

But it is not either-or what precnet of the claims submitted to private insurers involve fraud?

#12     Sep 27, 2009
  3. Arnie

Arnie

Really? There are 9 million enrollees in Medicare Advantage (part C). So that works out to over $55,000 per enrollee in savings.

#13     Sep 27, 2009
  4. lrm21

lrm21

nice piece of bullshit propoganda

except there are several giant wholes:

doctors worth their salt are dropping medicare patients like the plauge

Medicare pays 15% less because it does. Nothing more than glorified pice control. Big fucking deal

You can thank Medicare for the fucking inflationary mess of our healthcare system. Medical costs started rising exponetially after they got invovled.

If central planning for Cost control is such a wonderful mechanism why not centrally plan our food supply, housing or auto industry.

No matter how many horrible deaths central planning dies there is always some dumbass to come along and tout it's magical powers for ushering in the utopia.

#14     Sep 27, 2009
  5. Good point, evidently the prospective savings from eliminating charges for services that are charged but not delivered are included, which would impact the providers trying to game the system, but not the recipient.

Also the prospective savings are over a period of 10 years.

#15     Sep 27, 2009
  6. There is no evidence to support this, as all the official numbers are doing apples-to-oranges comparisons.

#16     Sep 27, 2009
  7. Really?

What evidence do you have that the both the private insurance and the Medicare costs do not include fraud, because as I read it, both numbers are gross, including fraud, and the fraud %s are estimates.
    The reality of the fraud in both systems is estimated but in reality unknown.

So the comparison is apples to apples, both numbers include costs for fraud and administration, and in the the insurance company case, infrastructure dedicated to denying you claim and finding a way to retroactively cancel you insurance when your claims approach 100K.

#17     Sep 27, 2009
  8. Mnphats

Mnphats

Exactly.

#18     Sep 27, 2009
  9. Yada Yada, Yada,

Okay, lets see, you are arguing that
    Medicare pays 15% less, thus it is inflationary?

Please don't let me type words in your mouth, but I don't think paying LESS makes something an inflationary mess.

And somehow the UK and European countries manage to smoke, drink and consume more saturated fats, and still have higher life expectancies. And don't tell me about fast food.. Nutritionists have nightmares about the level of salt and fat in English and German pub food. About the only difference is that the Europeans and those in the UK appear to WALK a lot more, and stress levels are lower.

Stress levels count when one is sick and they don't have the stress of fighting the insurance companies and facing possible bankruptcy when they are deathly ill.

Perhaps you should google "conditional probability of rescission". I have read that the chance of one's insurance being canceled if your claim is over 100K is about 50%.

#19     Sep 27, 2009
  10. <object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_041b5acaf5"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=041b5acaf5" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=041b5acaf5" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_041b5acaf5" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:512px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/041b5acaf5/protect-insurance-companies-psa" title="from FOD Team, Will Ferrell, Jon Hamm, Olivia Wilde, Thomas Lennon, Donald Faison, Linda Cardellini, Masi Oka, Ben Garant, Jordana Spiro, lauren, Drew Antzis, and chad_carter">Protect Insurance Companies PSA</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/will_ferrell">Will Ferrell</a></div>

A little competition from public health care is not a bad thing, the bad thing is someone will make health-care into scarcity, so they will make more profit from it.

#20     Sep 27, 2009