A Warning For Potential/New Traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by naifwonder, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trading is no different than any other career choice. The problem is the expectations of becoming successful in trading. Trading takes time to learn just like any other career. Rather it be a landscaper or a cardiologist. To be really good at something takes time, however, each person's time to learn is different. What gets a lot of newbies, and I was one of them, is the tease. The market teases you just enough to keep you dumping money, until you learn how to trade and manage your account then you start to take money from the market consistantly. Michael Jordan wasn't the Michael Jordan we all know today when he first started. Shoot, he didn't even make his high school team as a sophmore in high school. Be the Michael Jordan of Trading----Will, Learn, Work, Win!!!!

#21     Jul 31, 2008
  2. Thanks for the reply, Jasonn. :)

#22     Aug 16, 2008
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

What does your stupid Jack Hershey rant have to do with anything on this thread. As to spyder showing up in NYC at surfs toney party looking like a bum, so what? I spoke at the Dallas trading expo five years ago in sweat pants and a tshirt (admittedly it was because I thought my presentation was two hours after it was), a few people walked out when they saw that I was 20something and in sweats, but those that stayed came up after and said it was the best presentation of the show, one of the people was a former board member at the CME.

In any case, you have posted this at least one other time, and probably a few more, so why do you have to keep posting it all over the place? You dont like Jack, alot of people here seem to have that issue, we get it.

#23     Aug 17, 2008
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I disagree. The huge difference is that the entry is so easy/cheap. Name another business that you can start with 2K, no advertisement, licence, permission, EDUCATION, hell you don't even need a car.

And that is exactly why the failure rate is higher than other professions.

#24     Aug 17, 2008
  5. Are we talking about the same business here? Buy or Sell in what is effectively a 2-horse race, with a bit of risk control and money management thrown in?

98% get it wrong because 90% of people tell them how difficult trading is, they can't see the wood for the trees or are looking the wrong way when they get flattened by a 16-wheeler!

Pretty much every successful trader I know or have read about subscribes to the KISS principle, why? Because that's all it really takes at the end of the day.

#25     Aug 17, 2008
  6. Ironically, its exactly one of the reasons I chose to do it.
    I don't want a proffession where there is no challenge in becoming successful. Money aside for a moment, if any Joe or Mary can do it then there is no real sense of accompolishment.
    Trading has the potential to boost your bank account if it doesnt wipe it out first. Many are called to this proffession but only a few are chosen. Learning to control your emotions and having discipline are some of the trials that will ultimately have carry over
    effects to other parts of your life. Trading is very much like looking into mirror and confronting the demons inside you. The trick is to crush them with no mercy on the way to becoming successful. i.e. money is not the only objective, there is personal growth that takes place here too. You learn that you can be your own worst enemy and how to avoid it. I'd imagine that there is not a single trader that made it that didnt go through this hell.

#26     Aug 17, 2008
  7. Pompous drivel if ever I heard it!

Would it surprise you to know that there are more 'barrow-boy' types than 'Harrow-boy' types taking home big 6 and 7-figure bonuses in the Square Mile?

In fact the richest man in the City, Peter Cruddas, is the son of a meat-market porter and an office cleaner who left the local Comprehensive school at 16 without a qualification to his name and lived on a rough East-End council housing estate (UK's equivalent of the projects I imagine, only worse!)

Translation:
    Barrow-boys - Rough East End of London market stall operatives selling fruit off a barrow, few were hardly literate
    Harrow-boys - well educated toffs who went to University and came out with a string of qualifications and degrees
    Square Mile - The City of London, centre of the financial universe (ok I'm biased, I live there ;) )

#27     Aug 17, 2008
  8. lol, gimme a break......:D

#28     Aug 17, 2008
  9. All very interesting and riveting stuff I'm sure but seeing as your post appears on nearly every thread nowadays is there any chance you could resize those pics a bit, I'm running 19" monitors and still having to scroll left-right to read text.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation :)

#29     Aug 17, 2008
  10. Jasonn is a nutcase. He already is under at least 3 diff aliases in this thread. (also Mister Fabulous and C-kid)

Take nothing seriously from him

#30     Aug 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.