A UK/Ireland Traders Board?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Helenqu, Aug 22, 2002.

1. if you read the prem BB on advfn.com you will see a lot of comments on d4free - many negative

my own experience is that they are ok for SETS stocks, where spread is normally same as mkt spread - for non SETS spread is a lot wider

also ok for swing trading indices & FX - it's a question of checking spreads to see if R:R is acceptable

i find their sw slows my pc down a lot - but this may be as much down to my pc as to their sw

#51     Sep 16, 2002
  2. mdmbud

mdmbud

are there a lot of UK posters here?

#52     Oct 20, 2002
  3. Neil

Neil

I don't really think so mdm.. very quiet mouselike people from the Uk it seems..

Neil

#53     Oct 20, 2002
  4. Miki

Miki

Sorry Neil, I am not very quiet - just found this thread. I have got just enough time at work to get through my favourite few threads and in the evening I am far too busy not losing any money in the market.

For those who don’t know me – I started trading e-minis (now including $5 Dow YM) a few months ago. I’ve been successfully trading stocks (via IB) for a while now, but I find e-minis quite fascinating and I can see that pretty soon that’s all I’ll be trading.

I trade, using broadband, four days in France and one day in the UK.

Connection to IB is not a problem – I use hard stops just in case it becomes a problem. :)

#54     Oct 22, 2002
  5. I am moving to the UK soon. I read the first 7,700 pounds of profits or so are exempt of CGT, is this right and how is the tax rate determined for the portion above the exempt amount?

#55     Oct 24, 2002
  6. 1. yes
    2. with great difficulty

After CGT allowance there is a system of tapering applied whereby you pay more tax on profits from short term holdings than those from long term. It's quite complex. The Inland Revenue have a web site (can't remember url) with full details - but it's written in accountant-speak so good luck.

#56     Oct 24, 2002
  7. DPSUTTS

DPSUTTS

Would be great to hear from anyone trading FTSE 100 Futures in the UK....hardly see any mention of this on the board.

I see references to TRIN and TICK from posters trading US Futures. Is there any equivalent for UK Futures?

Would also like to hear your opinions on the UK Easy2Trade platform. I've been using the Easy2Trade Light platform for a few months and find it a bit slow and unreliable. It's browser based and regularly suffers from command timeouts and lost connections....I know trading Futures is risky but it's nice to know the platform at least is on your side!

What makes up for it to some extent is the excellent support desk which it sounds like IB lacks. Is anyone able to offer a comparison?

Cheers.

#57     Oct 24, 2002
  8. Hey Kicking, and others with knowledge of this:

I am under pressure to leave New York and move to London (wife got job transfer offer) I'm a dual UK/US citizen, Series 7 licensed working in a prop firm here in NYC.

Anyone know how it affects my series 7 status if I move out of the country?

How about taxes, can I maintain my US "tax residence" while I'm gone (probably a 2-3 year stint)?

Finally, are there any well set up professional stock trading firms in London (trading US stocks) with could broadband service and cable/satellite TV? I hate trading from home. Thanks in advance...

#58     Feb 5, 2003
  9. Andre

Andre

We're looking to improve attendance in the ET chat room. While it wouldn't be an entire message boards forum geared towards UK Traders (yet), we could create a perpetual chat room -one that's always open- for UK Traders. That might be a good way to draw more people in and build the demand for it.

Plus, I know of at least one group where I could invite people over, and try to get some more participation. I'm kind of late to this thread, but let me know.

Check out and chime in at our Chat Improvment Poll

André

#59     Feb 6, 2003
  10. fkeane,
    As far as I know US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, there must be a treaty with the UK that avoids double taxation.See the threads on the subject.I am afraid there is no stock trading firms in London, a few futures prop firms. Daytrading has never been big like in the US.Good luck

#60     Feb 7, 2003