A Top Investment Bank Just Made a Move to Protect Against Another S&P 500 Crash

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Feb 25, 2018.

1. JackRab

JackRab

Why do you think it's expensive?

#11     Feb 26, 2018
  2. Visaria

Visaria

I haven't looked into it but i suspect that implied vol is very high on it.

#12     Feb 26, 2018
  3. zdreg

zdreg

one can learn a lot from a BS 1/2 story.

#13     Feb 26, 2018
  4. sss12

sss12

Not as much as the whole story !

#14     Feb 26, 2018
  5. Sig

Sig

This doesn't really make any sense. Under the volcker rule UBS can't engage in prop trading. So they wouldn't buy puts for the bank. They have thousands of clients, all with different needs and exposures, so doing some kind of bank-wide put buy "to protect its clients" is an idiotic statement to make. Did the reporter mean to say their wealth management group? Or is he just a moron?

#15     Feb 26, 2018
    piezoe and sss12 like this.
  6. JackRab

JackRab

A high implied volatility is totally warranted when we have daily +1% moves...

Expensive compared to 2 months ago: yes... compared to the actual market situation... no.

#16     Feb 26, 2018
  7. mbondy

mbondy

Even perma-bears are right at least once per cycle ;)

#17     Feb 26, 2018
  8. piezoe

piezoe

The least expensive strategy for them and their clients is to buy mostly good dividend paying stocks with strong potential for capital gains and then make minimal changes in the portfolio over time. When corrections hit, simply do nothing other than to use them as an opportunity to put cash to work. Only make changes if there is a significant change in the long-term outlook for a particular holding. As the customers time horizon decreases move increasing portions of the portfolio to bonds. The portfolio manager has an obligation to their client to study, understand, and stay on top of macroeconomics. Have any of you heard this before? I hope so.

#18     Feb 27, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.
  9. %%
    Bull;
    LOL actually he tends to live his nickname =Buy 1 sell2. Some take nicknames real serious LOL:caution::cool::D

#19     Feb 27, 2018