A Strange But Serious Proposition for a Not Yet Profitable Trader

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Swan Noir, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I think this is a legitimate question and one I have considered. I simply assume that the guy on the other side of this "trade" will have prerequisites: Proof that what I say is true, character references etc. My guess is that I will need to show him a history of consistent profitability no matter how modest the profits, I might set up a shared screen to have him to watch me trade for a few days or maybe a week and maybe some other informational items that allow HIM (not those in this thread who have zero interest in the proposition) to judge for himself whether my limited -- quite limited -- knowledge will help him get out of the wilderness.

Anyone who thinks they can watch a trader at my level and get the "key" to profitability is probably unrealistic in their view of what it takes. But I remember what the first year was like and, for me at least, it is not an exaggeration to call it wandering in the wilderness. I suspect it is for others as well.

I thank you for your thoughtful question and non-judgmental approach. Your right ... what I offer will not have value to many. I'm hoping it will to one.

#51     Jan 10, 2012
  2. ^ this.....lopsided tradeoff.

#52     Jan 10, 2012
  3. You are correct that I am limiting my universe by asking for what I ask for although I'm not sure that it makes it asymmetrical. I make an offer and it gets lifted or it doesn't. It either becomes a fair trade between two traders or it lays out as no trade.

But more directly to your point: We are not willing to get off a plane and have broadband or any other tech problem confront us. It is my intention to retain a local IT guy who will show up to check out the trading rig and most important the broadband connection. I not only need to know that it is a big enough pipe domestically but that it feeds into an international connection that does not degrade it by 70%. That is a reality for some traders in many locations outside the US. Two traders in the same city with different ISP's even though they have the same service domestically can reach the international gateway in different ways with very different results. The specific neighborhood can make a difference in many parts of the world even in 2012. Part of why I want to be in another traders home or in a space he controls is that I want to KNOW FOR SURE (or as sure as I can be) that I am relocating for three months to a situation that fits our needs.

I have owned businesses in a handful of countries on three continents, worked through translators and once in Sicily with self improvised hand signals. Suffice to say I have dealt with myriad problems and deficiencies. I have first hand experience with the problems one encounters even in other first world countries. Pros are sure of their tools before they begin the job. Good carpenters measure twice so they can cut once.

I want the relaxation that comes from enjoying the spring in Rome or Madrid but I also want the satisfaction of knowing that I have not been sloppy about tending to my business. If one advance man on Rick Santorum's staff had worked one more hour each week for 10 weeks Santorum probably wins Iowa by eight votes instead of losing by eight. One of the many reasons I don't want to take a short term (90 day) apartment let is that a few hours time of another trader and a few bucks spent by me on a local IT guy takes my advance planning confidence from zero percent to 80 percent or more. There is real value in that to us.

My heart is not set on this deal. If it works for us we will do it. I will leave it to my counter party overseas to decide if it works for him. If someone tells me they have only one computer and one screen but I can bring a laptop and buy two more screens then I will consider that a reasonable counter offer and talk about it with them. I want what I need to make it work but that is quite different from being a take it or leave it guy. I am never the guy who says take it or leave it. I am the guy who says let's talk about it.

And yes, if it were ES I would not worry about liquidity in any time frame. But recently I have begun to scalp in other markets. And specifically as to wanting two computers and four screens the reality is that I think for the right novice trader my time and judgement brought to bear is worth far more than that. I'm rarely timid when I step up to the table and I see no reason to be timid here. I believe many of the clowns who have called me a crook and inferred assorted nonsense can't shine my shoes on their best day.

Also note from my original post I am not seeking luxury -- Cap D'Antibes is not a prereq. If the company is right a burger and a beer is as good (or better) than a four star restaurant. I take the same attitude here. I have read and enjoyed many of your posts Laissez Faire. I thank you for your thoughtful (and correct) comment in this thread.

Best regards ...

#53     Jan 10, 2012
  4. Oh my gosh! I did not realize how arrogant and grandiose my initial post was. Bragging about being somewhat better than a minimum wage trader is clearly the type of statement that shows the swelled head I have.

For me trading is a hard skill to pick up. I do not think I have much to teach anyone who has had any real success and that is why I headlined my post as I did. And frankly, I thought I made it pretty clear in the body of the post that I was not Soros. But if a sharp guy like you did not see that I guess making it even clearer here has value.

I did not know there was a distinction between a Junior CTA and a full fledged CTA.

#54     Jan 11, 2012
  5. yes, you sound arrogant. Why didn't you just post on a travel website instead of wasting our time bragging about how much money you started with before you started trading.

1. Learn how to trade on a laptop so you don't have to haul around 4 monitors like a traveling side show. Or better yet, switch to poker, then all you would need is a deck of cards.

2. If that's not possible, learn how to automate so then all you will need to do is check in once a day to see how it's going back home and then you can make any adjustments to your system remotely.

#55     Jan 11, 2012
  6. AK100

AK100

Just wondering. If you do find someone to put you up and they perhaps don't agree with you on some of your points will you tell them to 'get out of your sight and die'?

If so, something tells you me you're going to be looking for some new accommodation very quickly :)

#56     Jan 11, 2012
  7. No ... I won't. I will, as I did in my initial post, reserve those words for "those of you who are tempted to tell me how simple it is and that I must be a moron to consider it complex"

There seem to be a ton -- maybe two tons -- of guys who think it is cool to tell everyone that trading is so simple you should pick it up before lunch and then you can just watch the money pour in as you trade half days. Those are the ones that should go out of sight and die!

As you might suspect if it is not working once we get there we will simply turn the trip into a vacation and check into a hotel until we decide to fly back probably a week or ten days later. Seems simple enough to me and no one has to actually die.

#57     Jan 11, 2012
  8. hkrahra

hkrahra

Haaha..
    Forget about the invitation,Swan.You've already reviled all you secrets here.

:D

#58     Jan 11, 2012
  9. I'm going to die, probably sooner than you think, just don't rush me. Sounds like instead of making Europe miserable with your arrogant prescence you should go to the Himalyas and learn patience.

#59     Jan 11, 2012
  10. hkrahra

hkrahra

Hah..

They do not practice patience in Himalays.They usually practice the 18 mystical perfections and meditate on God.

Doordarshan or "Far Vision". Posses this knowledge and you don't need the exchange for 4 monitors and room in Europe you don't even need a plane.You can see any country anything you want from your backyard.

#60     Jan 11, 2012