A spammer is using my domain name as a bogus return address

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by SideShowBob, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Oh I forgot to mention I already opened a help desk ticket with my hosting provider to notify them of it, they said obviously they can't do anything, but in the past when they've seen this usually the spammer moves on to another domain within a few days.

SSB

#11     Sep 11, 2006
  2. AaronCapps

AaronCapps Global Futures

how comforting.

#12     Sep 11, 2006
  3. I set up a new catchall just in case I missed an alias I set up, but I hope I got them all. I also came across this website, not sure if it will do anything but hopefully it won't make anything worse:

http://www.openspf.org/

It's really amazing that we don't have laws mandating that spammers get tarred and feathered, and then have to listen to C-SPAN all day.

SSB

#13     Sep 11, 2006
  4. Could be an open relay?

#14     Sep 14, 2006
  5. I set up in Outlook Express a filter that if the TO: or CC: did not contain my valid email address then it would be automatically deleted from the server and/or my inbox. (for some unknown reason sometimes one or two slip through, suspect some hidden characters in there).

Alternatively you can do a filter that everything that does not have a valid email address to go to some bulk folder which can be emptied once a week or so after review.

There is a lot you can do with filtering, I only recently started to work with this and it has been a blessing to get rid of 99% of the filth.

Maria

#15     Sep 19, 2006