A solution to the oil crisis: Ban all new Suv and large trucks sales

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by mahram, May 3, 2006.

1. MRWSM

MRWSM

When I hear of a little piece of crap Toyota making 38 MPG it makes me laugh. I drive a full size 2000 Bonneville with a V6 that gets 34 MPG on long trips with 5 people on board. Those small cars should get a whole lot more. Actually I hear Toyota is coming out with a 2008 Prius that gets 96 MPG. Now that's what I'm talking about, that is impressive.

#31     May 4, 2006
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

Instead of banning SUV's why not just ban any vehicle that gets less than 100 MPG. It can be done gradually over the years. We have technology now that can make a monster GMC Yukon get 100 MPG using plug in hybrid.

#32     May 4, 2006
  3. Yeah and every country that controls oil like venezelua or iran can black mail the us b/c they control oil. Iran can construct as many wmds as they want, b/c they have oil. You even fought a war over oil, iraq. Suv's are putting your country at risk. In a time of war you need sacrifices, why not sacrifice your suv, then your kids to fight a war.

#33     May 4, 2006
  4. nope just a realist :D The only reason the US isnt fighting a war in iran right now, its because of oil. the us is afraid a war with iran, would spike oil up to 200$ a barrel or more. Eventually there is going tobe a war with iran. And b/c the republicans and the president are afraid to take the initiative and ban suv's and trucks sales, you will always have tinpot dictators, doing whatever they want. Iran can create wmd's with impunity b/c they control the 2nd largest oil reserves.

#34     May 4, 2006
  5. Hey now, that's my 10 year old car, still looks good, paid off 7 years ago, and it will outlast your American junk past 200k anyday. Just kidding :D Serously I think the new corollas get 42 on highway and 32 in city.

You are right, I believe the technology is there to get atleast 60 mpg on a car and atleast 30 mpg on a full size suv.

#35     May 4, 2006
  6. You're like a politician offering stupid, simplistic solutions. What about an SUV owner who works from home and drives 5000 miles per year? Why not tax the "long" commuter who drives two hours back and forth to work each day?

Intervention does not work. Let the free market decide. Check the decline in SUV sales to see if that works for you.

#36     May 4, 2006
  7. lol. you guys are funny.same old same old. when i was a kid there were always stories about carburetors that made 100 mpg. as the story went the oil companies always bought the rights to these carburetors and destroyed them so they could sell more oil.
    sure the plug in yukon can get 100 mpg for 20 miles until the battery runs low. then what?
    gm is in trouble and losing market share every day. if the technology is available to get 100 mpg why wouldn't gm use it and instantly vault back to the top selling car company in the world again?
    the best technology we have right now is the prius and users are only reporting around 40 mpg with those and they are small crackerboxes.

i do agree with the op though. there is no reason soccer moms need a full size suv or truck.

#37     May 4, 2006
  8. Uranium cars!!!! :)

Create a VERY dense conductor of energy, charge it from a nuclear power source, and distribute the energy to energy stations. Insted of filling up the old GMC with fuel, you fill it up with pure energy.

Might be hard to create such a conductor though :)

-Kastro

#38     May 4, 2006
  9. fhl

fhl

No suv's, high taxes, anything and everything to just make us more like Europe.... like we would be better off that way. In case you hadn't noticed, europe is dieing on the vine. We don't want to follow.

#39     May 4, 2006
  10. there are many good energy sources the problem is how do you store the energy for vehicle use?

#40     May 4, 2006