A solution to the oil crisis: Ban all new Suv and large trucks sales

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by mahram, May 3, 2006.

1. Gord

Gord

All Democrat talking points - but you probably aren't a liberal either... [rolls eyes]

#21     May 4, 2006
  2. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

...and a recession will have the effect of lowering prices. Invariably does.

#22     May 4, 2006
  3. nope Im a NDP :D But my point makes sense. You stopped a chinese company and a dubai company from buying american companies for the sake of national security why not ban suv's and large trucks for the sake of national security. It just boggles the mind. The republicans keep saying lets open up wild life reserves for oil. But that would take years to get onto the market. The solution right now is ban new suv and truck sales.

#23     May 4, 2006
  4. Albert

Albert

You wanna get on with it and move on with alternative energy?
    Nationalize the oil industry. Those guys are smart and greedy. They will leave that sinking ship like pestulant rats and foist another technology upon us in record time. Talk about an opportunity.
    Before you knuckle-dragging, mad dog conservatives come out foaming, know that I think the government will find a way to mess it up, but that is the point. The sooner we move on, though, the sooner we rid ourselves of dependence on volatile, often hostile suppliers and get free of our nation being forced to fight energy wars.
    Albert

#24     May 4, 2006
  5. fhl

fhl

Ever hear of "stagflation"? It was a word well known to folks during the Carter administration.

#25     May 4, 2006
  6. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Yep. High inflation coupled with a price shock during a recession. But you don't go from "boom" to stagflation in one step. Have to hit a recession first. A prolonged one historically speaking.

#26     May 4, 2006
  7. Gord

Gord

Yes, I can certainly see that your mind is boggled.

#27     May 4, 2006
  8. lol gord, then tell me a reasonable explanation in a time of war over oil, why not ban suv's and trucks sales, excluding business and commericial use. If you are saying you have a constitutional right to own them, then why are you willing to put up with the patriot act. Illegal wire taps, search and seizures. Secret Detention camps. All in the name of national security. and you are willing to destroy your environment.

#28     May 4, 2006
  9. Gord

Gord

Are you Howard Dean - or at least from his planet?

#29     May 4, 2006
  10. fhl

fhl

The reason we are willing to put up with the patriot act is so we won't be killed by terrorists. Duh! The reason we won't ban suv's is because they are not destroying anything except the so-called sensibilities of liberals.

#30     May 4, 2006