A simple but not easy question -- What is trend?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by mythseason, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Simple, HH and HL is an up trend.

LH and LL is a down trend.

Now go make money.

#11     Oct 17, 2008
  2. Kid, go against one once and you will know.

#12     Oct 17, 2008
  3. bluelou

bluelou

To me, trend = trendiness + direction. Trend is emphermal and most off the shelf statistical techinques are only useful ex post.

Places to start looking to test and measure trendiness are time series methods such as ARMA and Hurst exponent. Even better are certain types of stats that allow you to drop the i.i.d assumption and this can be very useful with tick data.

Trendiness also includes trend quality; i.e, the signal content relative to the noise content. Personally, I spend more time analyzing the noise structure than I do the trend itself.

Direction. Easy to see once it's started but impossible or nearly so to predict at intraday time frames.

-BlueLou

#13     Oct 22, 2008
  4. tommaso

tommaso

my 2 cents...

I think most of people consider as Trend the tendency of data to be on a pattern they believe to see in the data.

Trend is not objective, but mostly subjective.

Simpler patterns tend to be considered more "objective" by people, then more complex ones.

Again the degree of complexity of a pattern may depend on subjective factors and on education.

Whatever trend is, the concept is probably not crucial for trading because even if you see a trend you can conclude in several ways:

- There is a trend: good it will probably continue!
    - There is a trend: ah things have gone too long according that pattern, now they are going to change !

and whatever you conclude, the market is always able to find the ways to disprove you :))

Anyway trends do have some significance. If a price is going up and you go short, if you eventually lose many people would feel entitled to tell you acted in a stupid way.

On the other end if you went long and the direction reversed after 30 seconds, well it would more difficult to blame you for your decision.

So, trend probably does not exists, but it cannot be ignored !! :))

Tommaso

#14     Oct 26, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

"Trend"... the obvious directional tendency and bias of the market... which becomes obvious only after it is too late to capitalize upon it.

#15     Oct 26, 2008
  6. I could not agree more. It's very simple. People try to make it more complicated.

#16     Oct 26, 2008
  7. Sometimes its to late and sometimes its not. That's why I use stops.

#17     Oct 26, 2008
  8. #18     Oct 26, 2008
  9. sc85

sc85

Interesting, I invented a technical indicator called "trend indicator" last year and about to file a US patent for it.

Stay tuned.

#19     Oct 26, 2008
  10. #20     Oct 26, 2008