A Sign from God

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ljyoung, Jul 25, 2008.

1. This, IMO, is God's (or Yaldabaoth's if you prefer) way of controlling the proliferation of vegans:

Soy May Reduce Sperm Concentration

A diet rich in soy is associated with lower sperm concentrations, according to a cross-sectional study published online in Human Reproduction.

Researchers analyzed sperm concentrations and self-reported intake of 15 soy foods in some 100 men attending a fertility clinic with their partners. After multivariable adjustment, they found that a high intake of soy in the previous 3 months was associated with a reduced sperm concentration. Men who reported eating the most soy had an average of 41 million sperm/mL less than those who did not eat soy. The effect was even more pronounced in men who were overweight or obese.

The authors conclude: "The clinical significance of these findings remains to be determined."

Human Reproduction article (Free abstract; full text requires subscription)

lj

2. No doubt, it's God's way of saying you should be eating more bacon.

3. The world expert on 'bad' fat was Julia Child, may she RIP. She lived to be 91 and one of my favorite episodes from one of her early series was the one where she prepares a paté thingy wrapped in great wads of beef fat and of course, bacon. Tony Bourdain thinks she's cool and so do I if only because Tony is so cool. On the otherhand some people think he's an arsehole but you know what they say about opinions.

lj

4. I'm not sure that you should draw too much comfort from someone else's superior genetics.

5. Interesting that you think some have "superior" genetics.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few others who had that idea.

6. I refer to the naturally superior variety which seem to better withstand disease and the effects of aging, and span across all races. I was not referring to the skin head variety since, if there is indeed an ordinal scale apart from my reference and along the lines of your apparent thinking, I would imagine that such specimens would be at the bottom of the heap.

As an aside, I'm insulted by your insinuation.

7. The possibility exists Tdog, that given we are a continuing consequence of ze Natur and the nurture, unless you know what Julia's lipoprotein electrophoresis pattern was, we cannot say that all that she turned out to be was a consequence of her genetics. Perhaps she was also taking a large dose of atorvastatin and consumed copious amounts of omega 3's, sitostreol, garlic, onions, guggul lipids, etc. It doesn't look like she exercised a lot (aerobic or 'pumpimg iron') but I don't know.

I would not argue with you that genetics are not important. Of course they are but clearly genetics, at least in the sense that you are talking about, are not the single factor of consequence.

lj

Edit: I'm sure she consumed lots of vino tinto, resveratrol and all that - IMO, the next 'big thing' in cholesterol profile modification.

8. God is coming and man is he pissed! :mad:

9. promagma

promagma

10. Interesting link pro. There is so much crap on the internet (let alone ET) that I always like to look at the credentials of the site and it appears that the authoress has a bachelor's in biology, which at the least provides more credibilty than most of the 'this stuff is poison' sites. Me will have a read.

lj

#10     Jul 25, 2008