A Scanner Darkly

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Feb 24, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

Phillip K Dick's futuristic novel about the dangers of drug (ab)use is comming soon:

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/detail/id/383686

"Set in suburban Orange County, California in a future where America has lost the war on drugs, a reluctant undercover cop is ordered to start spying on his friends. He is launched on a paranoid journey into the absurd, where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode."

The book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...f=pd_bbs_1/104-1317621-4556723?_encoding=UTF8

"Mind- and reality-bending drugs factor again and again in Philip K. Dick's hugely influential SF stories. A Scanner Darkly cuts closest to the bone, drawing on Dick's own experience with illicit chemicals and on his many friends who died from drug abuse. Nevertheless, it's blackly farcical, full of comic-surreal conversations between people whose synapses are partly fried, sudden flights of paranoid logic, and bad trips like the one whose victim spends a subjective eternity having all his sins read to him, in shifts, by compound-eyed aliens. (It takes 11,000 years of this to reach the time when as a boy he discovered masturbation.) The antihero Bob Arctor is forced by his double life into warring double personalities: as futuristic narcotics agent "Fred," face blurred by a high-tech scrambler, he must spy on and entrap suspected drug dealer Bob Arctor. His disintegration under the influence of the insidious Substance D is genuine tragicomedy. For Arctor there's no way off the addict's downward escalator, but what awaits at the bottom is a kind of redemption--there are more wheels within wheels than we suspected, and his life is not entirely wasted. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk "

Read it fast before the movie comes out!

nitro

2. The movie?
    Raiders of the lost narc?

3. I'm guessing they're not counting on Oprah Winfrey's endorsement? :D

4. Not unless the anti-hero gains huge kgs, and then loses them in a sci fi bid for freedom, and writes a best seller weight loss book about the experience.

With an obligatory cook book, naturally.:D

5. nitro

nitro

6. nitro

nitro

achilles28 likes this.
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Bumping 10 year old posts, Nitro?

8. nitro

nitro

Is there a statue of limitations on threads?

9. achilles28

achilles28

No. But there is for memory. And circuit boards.

How did you remember this thread....? :)

10. nitro

nitro

I remember all my threads and most of my posts.

#10     May 1, 2016