A required privilege is not held by the client

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elindydotcom, May 11, 2003.

1. I'm trying to backup a set of files located on a remote computer. I've mapped a drive to the remote computer (drive X:) and I can now read and write to the directory and files I want to back up. However, when I run my backup software, I get an error message stating "A required privilege is not held by the client" whenever it tries to backup the files on drive X: (the remote drive). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong - I assume it's a permissions thing but I can already read and write to the files I'm trying to backup so I don't know what else I need to do.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

-eLindy

PS: The computers are in workgroups, not domains. The computer with the tape drive is in a workgroup called EXE and the one with the remote drive is in a workgroup called WORKGROUP. The user names and passwords being used are the same on each computer on the network.

2. opm8

opm8

Try changing the permissions on the mapped drive (right click, properties...) to something like "Full access". I don't have a mapped drive in front of me to try it out on but I'm pretty sure that would fix your problem. I'm assuming that the backup program runs under a different user with a reduced set of privileges.

--opm8

3. Actually, the backup program is running with full Administrator rights to the machine on which it's running - that's what makes this error all the more confusing.

I suspect it's something about the way in which the rights are mapped between users in a workgroup but I sure don't know what it is.

Any other ideas definitely will be appreciated.

-eLindy