a relatively simple question on dual processor/core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richardyu301, Feb 1, 2006.

1. He meant this only for the diehard believers.

#31     Jul 13, 2006
  2. A few comparisons here, albeit a little dated, however not restricted to Intel:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/opteron-x75/index.x?pg=1

#32     Jul 13, 2006
  3. The real question is why anyone would not get a dual core processor. They cost about the same price as the single core. At least if you're talking about Intel. And there were some valid points for traders that suggested certain platforms will only work with windows.

Not to mention that if you are on a budget, as many are on these threads, building a system with AMD components is considerably more expensive than Intel.

#33     Jul 13, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

Gateway has already officially discontinued making computers with a single core CPU. It won't be long before everybody goes that way.

#34     Jul 13, 2006
  5. Of course, you won't have any choice.
    But this was not the question raised by the originator of the thread.
    As long as you are aware that a lot of software things have to happen before 1 + 1 = 2.

The old dream of new speed = old speed * 2 every 18 months is FINISHED.

#35     Jul 13, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

My response was geared toward to prior post... "The real question is why anyone would not get a dual core processor..."

In other words, why bother with single cores at all today.

#36     Jul 13, 2006
  7. Sorry gnome, that was my intention as well. I corrected this still in time as you'll see.
    Thank you for pointing this out.

#37     Jul 13, 2006
  8. I'm using a Pentium D 945 running @ 4Ghz :p

...do you mean that a "D" is better than an Extreme Edition class CPU --to be used in Windows XP Pro and TT X_Trader that is a multi-thread application?

Or, by the way, a Duo Core CPU is really better?!

:confused: :eek:

#38     Jan 26, 2007
  9. Depends on what you're trying to do.

I have both from intel...
    -pentium 4 HT
    -pentium D core duo

Admittedly, if I am just running a couple applications the pentium 4 is MUCH faster. Even with my trading platform running.

However, with trading platform running, using photoshop, and watching movies, the D is better.

#39     Jan 26, 2007
  10. It's only for running TT X_Trader and another software in foreground.

Any other experience -- also about using the CPU affinity feature to assign single CPU to specific thread?

#40     Jan 26, 2007