A reality check for the United States

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Nov 7, 2010.

1. .

November 8, 2010

SouthAmerica: Reply to Macroman

There's more jobs disappearing because of new technologies than jobs that are outsourced to other countries.

Quoting from info I already had posted on this forum a few years ago:

"Second, by the permanent replacement of jobs by new technologies; in this case jobs disappear forever.… Another study published in October 2003 said: “Economists at Alliance Capital Management LP in New York looked at employment trends in 20 large economies and found that from 1995 to 2002, more than 22 million jobs in the manufacturing sector were eliminated permanently."

I remember reading about an year ago about another study that said the global economy had a net lost of 25 million manufacturing jobs during the period of - I don't remember if it was the year of 2008 or during a period of a few years - but it was a very short period of time, and it seems to me that technology has been eliminating jobs around the world at a faster rate than ever before.

Keep in mind: in this case these are jobs that disappear forever.

#11     Nov 8, 2010
  2. get your point. But thats why we have bubbles. To cater for people that would otherwise be unemployed. Exporting jobs just increases that pool of unwanted. Which in addition adds even more people to that pool. Say 1 primary job creates additional 4. Disappering 1 job subtracts 5.

From what I see these outsurced jobs are not really economicaly beneficial. Just filling pockets of connected middlemen and providing no more value for money. Can see where Tudor Jones looking when comparing indian market run to internet bubble.

#12     Nov 8, 2010
  3. I knew you didn't have the balls to live in China. Maybe you are too old to learn Mandarin? Or lazy?

#13     Nov 8, 2010
  4. Imagine the devastation when technology destroys most of the jobs in China, India and Brazil. Hundreds of millions will not have jobs. China will go down in flames. Why don't you move there and see if you can be a part of this? :p

#14     Nov 8, 2010
  5. Really? You think so?

Seems easy to justify a technology investment to replace human labor/benefits at $50-$75/hr... but to replace $1/hr labor?

#15     Nov 8, 2010
  6. olias

olias

That's basically my thinking too. It seems logical that the very wealthy would continue to increase their wealth relative to the rest of the population. It's like having the upper hand in arm wrestling.

The great thing about this country is the opportunity we all have to achieve.

#16     Nov 8, 2010
  7. #17     Nov 8, 2010
  8. Because he was thrown out of the country and they won't let him back in.

He lives in the USA.

#18     Nov 9, 2010
  9. No $50-$75/hr.. where did you get that figure? And China/ India's labor costs will go up and up until technology will replace a lot of their jobs. Give it time. They have a lot of mouths to feed. And wait until they start getting really old like in Japan. o_O. Devastation time.

#19     Nov 9, 2010
  10. mahadiga

mahadiga

Imports goods from China.
    Refurbish those goods and export them back to China.

This will solve many of the American woes.

#20     Nov 9, 2010