A real edge hardly requires any testing

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ma_trader, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Onra

Onra

Ok, let's rephrase this to make everybody happy :sneaky::
    "A real edge; unknown to the majority of retailtraders, hardly requires any testing"

#51     Jan 30, 2020
    lovethetrade and ma_trader like this.
  2. ma_trader

ma_trader

Believe me, it is possible to take a different and arrive at a better result, I am saying this as a professional programmer with more than 20 years experience, and extensive experience in coding automated trading systems.

Multiple simpler systems perform.better than a single monolithic, hedging can be done in more than one way, and in terms of indicators and time frames.

All the best, I am sure you will get there..!!

#52     Jan 30, 2020
    Onra likes this.
  3. ph1l

ph1l

An example is if I think an edge might be Fibonacci price wave ratios because I've seen examples of charts with Fibonacci retracements.
    So I find price waves (e.g., as in https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/machine-learning-for-price-wave-analysis.339646/#post-4997882) and get values of ratios of differences among the most recent five price waves to differences of the most recent two price waves.

Once I get a sample of ratios, I can visually see if any look significant as in
    upload_2020-1-30_11-28-37.png
    where the X axis has ratio sample indexes, the Y axis has ratio values, the curved line has the ratio values for 51,199 sorted samples of ratios, and the horizontal lines have a some Fibonacci ratios.

The curve will be flatter when ratios cluster around a value. But the curve doesn't have any flat or near-flat parts. So I can conclude the Fibonacci price wave ratios are not significant.

#53     Jan 30, 2020
  4. ma_trader

ma_trader

And I am not contesting that intense data mining is not the newest idea. If traders here have come a very long way, does that make a different idea invalid?
    At a very high level, the best ideas come from intensely being involved with a problem for the edge part of it, and not from AI like amateurish approach, retail traders hardly have the wherewithal to do a google level AI problem solving with data.

In other words concentrate more on solving the problem rather than searching for the solution.

Albert Einstein quote. "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."

#54     Jan 30, 2020
    TommyR, lovethetrade and Onra like this.
  5. d08

d08

I agree that imagination is very important and in trading, doing something uniquely is far more important than being technically proficient. Yet, even that quote is partly gibberish IMO.

Similarly I could say that you have no chance against the many thousands of gifted discretionary traders in various institutions. They might generate 10 times better ideas and 10 times faster.
    With drive and dedication, a lot is possible.

#55     Jan 30, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. ma_trader

ma_trader

I agree with most of it... !!!
    You seem to be afraid of the gang of 'gifted discretionary traders' in institutions...!! How do you get new ideas then, Sir...

#56     Jan 30, 2020
  7. ma_trader

ma_trader

And you hate to see that , right..??

#57     Jan 30, 2020
  8. d08

d08

By looking at data. I might go in looking at a specific event or events but I've found my ideas are quickly disproven - the data showing that the opposite of intuition is true.

#58     Jan 30, 2020
    wrbtrader and themickey like this.
  9. smallfil

smallfil

There are 1,000 ways to make monies in the stockmarket, just as there are probably, 2,000 ways to lose monies in the stockmarket as well. Programming has a place in the stockmarket as far as the math part goes. So, high frequency trading for instance, has seen quants devising ways to scalp the stockmarket for huge sums in short periods of time. That said, there are areas of the stockmarket that your programming knowledge probably, would be useless.

#59     Feb 2, 2020
  10. tomas262

tomas262

100 % agree. You can just do few months backtest to sense how significant the edge is (win %, RR, DD etc) to see what approximately to expect in the future from your methodology. Happy trading ma_trader

#60     Feb 2, 2020
    ma_trader likes this.