A real edge hardly requires any testing

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ma_trader, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ma_trader

ma_trader

No amount of testing will give a decent enough solution to neatly deal with whipsaws in a chart...

Testing is nothing more than parameter optimization, for a dataset, whereas a successful trader beats the market with a concept,

#31     Jan 29, 2020
  2. Sig

Sig

No, it's precisely because we understand it and the OP clearly doesn't that it's a "load of crap". The boundless arrogance of the young and the novice are familiar to those of us who were once young and novice for a reason:D

#32     Jan 29, 2020
    d08 likes this.
  3. ma_trader

ma_trader

I agree ...i think we depend on ideas/concepts on external sources, that severely limits our capabilities to come up with better ideas..

#33     Jan 29, 2020
  4. themickey

themickey

I agree with that :)

#34     Jan 29, 2020
    ma_trader likes this.
  5. ma_trader

ma_trader

Arrogance precisely is in your admission of calling it crap because of your lack of understanding..!! Anyways, thanks for the discussion, I never wanted to assert anything, just that its an idea worth exploring.

#35     Jan 29, 2020
  6. themickey

themickey

Oh! My lack of understanding? And perhaps everyone else on ET bar you?

#36     Jan 29, 2020
  7. ma_trader

ma_trader

Sorry but I think calling something crap without questions/exploration points to a lack of understanding.

#37     Jan 29, 2020
  8. Sig

Sig

You could assert the Earth is flat and I'd call it a crap assertion, is that because I don't understand it or because you're making an absurd assertion? You could say that the proper way to recover from a spin in an airplane is to apply full opposite aileron and I'd call it a crap assertion, is that because my many years as a professional pilot lead to my inability to understand or would it be because you're making a crap assertion. We could go on all day with assertions that education and experience lead those of us with experience and education to call crap, again precisely because we understand the subject and you don't. If you call that arrogance, we'll get back to me in a few years and let me know if you still feel the same way. Once again, we have an advantage over you in that we once were you. Funny how both my teenager and you seem to be incapable of grasping that, way of the world for my teenager because of brain development and all, but not strictly necessary for the novice.

#38     Jan 29, 2020
    speedo, tommcginnis and d08 like this.
  9. themickey

themickey

Those were my words.
    What it basically pertains to was a lot of words, buzzwords, technical jargo without actually saying something.
    To me it smacks of noob talk, we get a lot of that, trying to impress.

#39     Jan 29, 2020
  10. themickey

themickey

Gobbledegook.

#40     Jan 29, 2020
    jharmon likes this.