A real edge hardly requires any testing

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ma_trader, Jan 27, 2020.

1. I actually see that as using a bayesian approach to statistics. Maybe not as formal, but still utilizing some form of statistics there. I can't say for certain how you formulated your priors (E(u_t+1|earnings) = -2%) > E(u_t+1|earnings) = +2%), but again, though it may not be formal, I would think there was a lot of historical data already that went into those formulations (led you to those beliefs).

FWIW, I am a bigger proponent of bayesian approaches over frequentist, when it comes to trading and markets.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    #21     Jan 28, 2020
    beginner66 likes this.
  2. d08

d08

I've found mine through data and "testing". Also testing gives you invaluable metrics which you cannot find out by philosophizing while smoking a cigar.

#22     Jan 29, 2020
    zdave83 and leon7 like this.
  3. ma_trader

ma_trader

An edge picked out of a chart like a head and shoulder pattern is much better than an edge brute-searched over a dataset , an edge should have a concept that can be exploited, testing is not going to give you a concept, a little different way of thinking you may say

#23     Jan 29, 2020
  4. d08

d08

And that has massive subjective bias. You'll pick out the trades that worked for the pattern and quietly discard (or assign lower weight) to the ones that did not work out. I've done this myself many times. I stare at charts for hours and have one those epiphanies but when I actually crunch the numbers to remove my bias, the profitably is far lower or even negative.

#24     Jan 29, 2020
    jharmon and ph1l like this.
  5. ph1l

ph1l

Testing might not provide a concept, but it can determine if a concept is likely invalid or possibly valid.

#25     Jan 29, 2020
  6. ma_trader

ma_trader

Its not about picking and discarding, the pick should be enormously profitable than the discards.
    The basic thing is working on data reveals low quality and sub standard edges, working on charts and on taming randomness produces wonderful results, that work.

You need to change the way you think i guess, but when you get it , you will know it.

#26     Jan 29, 2020
  7. ma_trader

ma_trader

This is about creating a concept and not discovering one.

#27     Jan 29, 2020
  8. ma_trader

ma_trader

And i have found by turning the disadvantages of indicators into an advantages.

#28     Jan 29, 2020
  9. ma_trader

ma_trader

Testing to find an edge is like trying to break a password by brute force,
    Finding an edge by chart exploration,derivation is like breaking the encryption of the password

#29     Jan 29, 2020
    bpr likes this.
  10. themickey

themickey

Quite frankly I have difficulty believing one word of your theories.

#30     Jan 29, 2020
    jharmon likes this.