A quick look at the US indexes

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Gabfly1, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Okay, I understand the YM whipsaw comment. (I think it also applies to TF somewhat, until its average volume reaches a higher level.) However, NQ is not as whippy, and it has a better daily-range-to-tick-size ratio than ES. So, if you've read the first post, I think there's real value in that metric. Wouldn't you agree?

#21     Apr 19, 2010
  2. Have you looked at light sweet crude? Better than NQ. i agree YM sucks

#22     Apr 19, 2010
  3. Visitors

Visitors

threads like this really show you who the real traders are on ET

these are things only real traders care about

noobs and non traders don't care for this because they don't know that they should :cool:

#23     Apr 19, 2010
  4. Yes, crude is mesmerizing. However, I have not yet been able to adapt the manner in which I trade to CL. Unfortunately. Further, this thread is about indexes.

#24     Apr 19, 2010
  5. why are you so mesmerized by the emini indexes? esp NQ?

what do you see in the NQ?

have you looked at the russell 2000?

#25     Apr 19, 2010
  6. NQ "works" for me better than any other market in that I find it to be more reliable for my purposes. And while reliability is not the only measure to consider, it figures prominently for me.

I have already commented on TF in my first post. It provides the best "value" among the indexes based on my previously described metric. However, to me, it is a lot like YM in its price action, although with a better metric. I don't find the setups to be quite as reliable, much as with YM. Perhaps when volume rises over time, it will be less herky-jerky at the turns. Then I will have another look.

#26     Apr 19, 2010
  7. fair enough.

Do you swing NQ or daytrade it?

#27     Apr 19, 2010
  8. I think "intraday swing" would best describe what I do.

#28     Apr 19, 2010
  9. how many trades a day?

#29     Apr 19, 2010
  10. I easily get a dozen or so setups a day. However, I don't take them all, as I avoid the "lower quality" ones. Although I haven't done the math, I think I'd probably do better if I took them all. (For what it's worth, on the plus side, I never enter in the absence of a setup due to impatience or whatever.)

#30     Apr 19, 2010