A question to people that don't "believe" in TA

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by tommo, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Red:

So what you are saying is that unless you are a market maker, arbitrageur or fundamental analyst, the rest of the traders are just fools for using any form of TA? Are all the market wizards just flukes?

TA is not a tool to predict anything and that is why most who use it fail. It is a tool to perform analysis and help YOU YOURSELF make a prediction. This is an important distinction most people who use TA fail to consider.

#41     Mar 23, 2006
  2. Well, if that's not a call to arms, then I don't know what is. No doubt, Apple will send its Marine Corps (that's pronounced "core") to stem the dissent. Nip it in the bud, so to speak.

As an aside, isn't it ironic that Windows-based computers are more susceptible to worms than Apple computers? Go figure.

#42     Mar 23, 2006
  3. Hey, if you're on the other side of those people's trades, then what's your problem?

#43     Mar 23, 2006
  4. segv

segv

This is way off the topic of the original post, but Sharpe's definition and your definition are not equivalent. I think Sharpe's definition is quite succinct, although it is still very broad.

You said:

The key point of contention for me is your assertion that using price in any way to arrive at a trading decision constitutes "technical analysis". I mean, you are free to define things in any way you see fit if it helps you, I suppose. However, I will respectfully disagree if you think that a trader who is examining an arbitrage opportunity, and finds the market has moved away is a technical analyst in any conventional sense.

-segv

#44     Mar 23, 2006
  5. Using historical prices in any way, to the exclusion of an assessment of intrinsic value, is TA. Remember that the definition exists to distinguish it from fundamental analysis. If it ain't fundamental, then it's technical. I think that most people have an aversion to the term TA because they associate it with Bullshit. And I have to agree that TA attracts a lot of Fruit Loops armed with their Lucky Charms. But it is not all like that.

I appreciate that your disagreement is respectful, because so is mine.

#45     Mar 23, 2006
  6. bitrend

bitrend

As in the generic theme, there's only two types, Fundamental Analysis versus Technical Analysis and any of other forms are just a variety of one kind or another.

For me, Fundamental is for long term investment while Technical is for short term investment for a given security. Since changes in the company fundamental will take longer time to effect on its stock price, fundamental. While the behavior of its price and volume will effect its future price & volume in short term, technical.

#46     Mar 23, 2006
  7. segv

segv

Actually, market-making is not as complicated as a lot of people think. It can also have a much longer time horizon than is often assumed, especially in the electronic markets. I used to joke that people's perception (bias) of time advantage would eventually approach the sampling error for price as the electronic markets evolved. I think that viewing the intraday world with such a narrow lens might be more detrimental than beneficial in the long run, but I understand the motive.

Hey! My quotes are often only slightly askew of fair value. :)

As a student of cognitive science and empirical psychology, I am equally intrigued by such discussions. I am amazed, entertained, and bewildered by the preconceptions and attributions of those who participate in the market.

I tend to disagree with you here. The reason being is that trading is an environment that caters to our natural psychological need to get feedback from our activity. Feedback from the environment is one of our primary mechanisms for learning, so people have a tendency to trade in a way that generates a great deal of feedback. As you said, "making money" is our reward mechanism for learning in this environment, and it is a dangerous one. We can make money consistently and feel perfectly confident, while at the same time we are playing a game with a negative expectation. To further complicate the quality of our feedback, the longevity of the players in our game is associated with their wealth. The fact that they have survived to keep playing the game makes tempts us to attribute their success to their methodology.

I did not think you had a defensive tone, Coach. Please do not think that I have one, even though I can be strongly opinionated. :)

-segv

#47     Mar 23, 2006
  8. Comment, not a debate.

T/A is part of successful trading....I get the question often "what kind of trader are you?" "technical, fundamental, scalper, momentum, pairs trading, tape reading, M&A, automated program trading, which one are you?"

90% of my traders will answer the same way:

"yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes, and a few more advanced strategies as well"....

A. No one would enter into a good TA setup with bad momentum, bad earnings, bad news, wide spreads, poor trending, etc....you get the idea.

B. Good entries and exits require "all encompassing" market snapshots....Prem/Disc, spread, peers, momentum, news, sector, etc. (again, you get the idea).

I have never seen a trader use only one aspect of trading make any money....if it were that simple, then there would cease to be a marketplace at all....

My 2 cents....FWIW...

Don

#48     Mar 23, 2006
  9. cnms2

cnms2

Others just deny the existence of what they don't, can't, won't understand. Keep an open mind, and learn everyday something new!

This kind of thread and endless and pointless discussion keeps surfacing on ET every few weeks, and it's like an AAPL worm that eats off ET forumities' time and consequently money.

It might be good for ET's clicks though ...

Bye ...

#49     Mar 23, 2006
  10. Well today was a rare day where I was not trading so I needed something to keep the mouse on the wheel in my head running :D

#50     Mar 23, 2006