A Question for Scalpers

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by FaderTrader, Apr 10, 2006.

1. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

Ripley,

This is the Accumulated Volume (ACV)....Depth of Market I mentioned in a reply to your PM.

This is from 4-03-06....on the ER. You will notice the "Squares" on the Buy and Sell. This shows three charts....as the Market started moving down. Had to black out my account number.

The chart to the Left....you can see the Buy ACV....at 484....with more than a 2 to 1 spread over the Sell ACV....at 133....and a price of 770.0. The chart in the Middle....a short time later....Buy ACV....at 582 or 592....can't read it....Sell ACV....at 158....and a price of 769.9 The chart to the Right....not much later....Buy ACV....at 621....Sell ACV....at 207....with a price of 768.7.

Based on the ACV of the Depth of Market....you could Scalp....without ever looking at a chart. Need to really be awake and alert....things can change fast. You can not use the Inside Bid and Ask....because it is not as accurate as the total ACV....and the Big Money is constantly pulling their Inside Bid and Ask....just to screw us small traders. Fake Bid and Fake Ask

The ACV is not perfect....but much better to use compared to the Inside Bid and Ask.

These are Screen shots....hard to get....the ACV is constantly changing....and the ACV total values may not match Exactly....with the Individual Depth of Market values when you add them up. The only thing I can think of is....this is because of the numbers changing so fast.

Anyway....I have been using this for years....first on J-Trader now on NinjaTrader. For Scalping....I wouldn't be without it.

VSTscalper

#41     Apr 11, 2006
  2. VSTscalp..

Its surreal that you can scalp off of that. Because the spreads are rarely that far apart. But, if you can really do it.. you got mad skillz.

So when you're on the road.. you wait.. and wait.. looking at the DOM, and then for a higher probability trades, you would take the trade when there is a 2 to 1 spread between the ACV (Bid/Ask) ?

#42     Apr 11, 2006
  3. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

Really....you don't have to "wait and wait"....you would be surprised....how often this happens.

It has to be a Minimum of a 2 to 1 spread. Usually I trade the ER on a 55 to 234 tick chart. I adjust....depending on the speed of the market. I first noticed it the ACV several years ago....and got to thinking about it. After watching it for quite awhile....starting using it with my charts....a confirmation you might say. Then....after awhile....I decided to try it without looking at my charts....and most of the time....it works. Just understand....I have been looking at it for several years....after awhile....you can get a "feel" for it. Kind of like a getting into a rhythm with the Dom and ACV. It can be very dangerous if you are not used to it....not for everybody.

Many traders think if the Bid is bigger than the Ask....that the Market will go Up....but not so....just the opposite. This is one mistake traders make when trading stocks and reading Level 2.

VSTscalper

#43     Apr 11, 2006
  4. hhho

hhho

just wondering... what is the 55 to 234 chart you talking about? 55= 5 min chart and 235 = 1 min chart?

#44     Apr 11, 2006
  5. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

I trade using Tick Charts only....no minute charts. A 50 "tick"....Tick chart....is basically 50 "Transactions" per Candle or Bar....before it moves to the next Candle or Bar. In Futures....a "Transaction" can be 1 contract or 1000....more or less. Say you are using a 10 "tick"....Tick Chart....there will be 10 Transactions before moving to the next Candle or Bar.

With a one mintue or five minute or any Minute type Candle or Bar....there could be any number of Ticks....within that Time Frame.

The reason I use Tick Charts....is....it allows me to Adjust to different charts....say 20 ticks to 1000 ticks....more or less....all depending on the speed of the market. A "one minute" chart....is the Lowest you can go with Minutes. Some charting software also have Candles or Bars....in Seconds....but mine does not.

VSTscalper

#45     Apr 11, 2006
  6. VSTscalper

Any one of these better than any other for e-mini futures
    data (for use with Ninja simulator)?

DTN.iQ
    eSignal
    TrackData

-Stephen

#46     Apr 12, 2006
  7. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

Stephen,

I don't use any of them....so I can't tell you. Maybe someone else can give you advice on Data Providers.

VSTscalper

#47     Apr 12, 2006
  8. I use both tick and time charts myself.

for some reason, i find Nikkei works MUCH better with Tick charts. not sure why

Tick charts are also much nicer when looking at the full futures session (vs. just the cash hours) since the globex session is nicely compressed by the lack of volume during those hours

I do think time is important - since i am a market profile afficianado. however, I am also aware that floor traders think primarily in terms of order flow/volume moreso than time, and tick charts give a window into that flow (as does time/sales)

#48     Apr 12, 2006
  9. I Scalp the NYSE but I don't aim for 3 cent profits, I ride my winners until I have a reason to get out. Sometimes I've been able to catch a point move. With the losers I show no mercy.

By the way, Taleb is wrong, the markets are neither random or normally distributed.

#49     Apr 12, 2006
  10. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

whitster,

I used to have a one minute chart for my short-term trends....and a 20 to 80 "tick" Tick chart for Scalping on the ES. I changed to strictly Tick charts a few years ago. Not that I don't really like Minute type charts....just that I like Tick charts much better. And now I trade the ER more than the ES.

I started out trading the e-mini ES....using the Cash Index only....did not have real time Futures charts. The data was delayed....but I had no problem with it. I would use a one or two tick....cash index chart....and Scalp. Too long of a story to tell why I switched to real time Futures data....but it wasn't because the cash index didn't work for me.

Here is a ER Tick chart....234 tick to the right....610 tick to the left. As you can see....I also have Time and Sales at the bottom of my chart. While I do glance at the ES and ER....T & S....to see the "Size"....I mostly just want to see all four T & S windows....go Green or Red....then I know the odds are that it will be a Market move....rather than just the ES or ER or YM or NQ. Market moves are always better.

VSTscalper

#50     Apr 12, 2006