A Question for Scalpers

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by FaderTrader, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I thought scalping has a new meaning since decimalisation.
    Buy a breakout and get out when momentum goes out.

Take MYOG yesterday (april 10th). The third three minute bar was a nice short at 34. For a quick 50 cent profit on the first half of the shares. And 70 cents for the rest.
    That's what I call scalping. Does anyone else share this opinion with me?

-Dave.

#31     Apr 11, 2006
  2. scalping means short term trades

obviously, it's SOMEWHAT relative

to somebody that has been holding BA for 10 yrs, reversing their long position and doing a 3 day short would be a scalp by their frame of reference

i think among daytraders , a scalp is measured in minutes, not hours

#32     Apr 11, 2006
  3. Why is it important for you to place a narrow definition on the term "scalping"...
    Relative to TA terms like "breakout" and "momentum"?

Scalping is simply a short term trade (minutes or hours)... for a small profit.

rm+

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#33     Apr 11, 2006
  4. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

If I were scalping Equities....I would have a different Scalping time frame than scalping Futures. I have scalped stocks in the past....usually in a trade for minutes....maybe to half an hour. With Futures....my usual scalp is 10 to 30 seconds....sometimes up to one or two minute. Depends on the speed of the market.

Right now....as I type....I am in a Trend trade....ER taking a Big dive....a beautiful sight. The candles are very smooth going down. I am trading watching 234 and 610 tick charts this morning. There is no need to go to a faster Tick chart to Scalp.

VSTscalper

#34     Apr 11, 2006
  5. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

This chart is just minutes later....still diving.

The key is to recognize when you should Scalp or follow the Trend. Every trade I do....starts out being a Scalp trade....until it proves otherwise.

I initially did 2 Scalps this morning....then have been in the Trend down....from 758.30....with 4 contracts....to now. This is as real time as I can show.

VSTscalper

#35     Apr 11, 2006
  6. johnk49

johnk49

Just wondering VST,you say you go for 2 ticks.What is your usual stop loss?

#36     Apr 11, 2006
  7. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

Here is the 234 tick chart....and my Exit...."Buy to Cover". What made me get out was the fact that it broke my Major Trendline....and my Indicator was starting to turn. You will very often see a Range develop after a long Trend.

I did a couple of scalps early on....then caught quite a bit of the Trend coming down.

My point in showing these three charts....is to say....we have to be flexible....Scalp when needed....follow the Trend....when you see it develop. I do both. Why Scalp....when the Candles are this Smooth going down. If the Candles were more volatile....meaning "wicks" shooting way up and way down....I would Scalp going down....but in this case....we had beautiful smooth candles....all the way down.

Short at 758.30....Buy to Cover at 748.90....with 4 contracts. I went way past my Net daily goal....but....the Trend being so smooth....kept me in. I have Rules that I follow for different types of trades. In this case....I reached my Net daily goal....early in the Trend....but because it was a Smooth Trend down....my Rule allowed me to stay in the Trade.

I tried to do this this morning as close to Real Time as I could. Had to take Screen shots....then save as GIF....plus watch the trade....plus reply to the forum.

VSTscalper

#37     Apr 11, 2006
    beginner66 likes this.
  8. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

johnk49,

The trading program I use now....allows me to set my Entry....Exit....Stop....all at once....before I enter the trade. I do the same thing....over and over.

My stop starts at 20 ticks when I enter....it is my Disaster Stop....and since Hurricane Katrina....I call it my FEMA stop....named after the hurricane fiasco. Basically....the Stop is nowhere to be found....kind of like FEMA. As soon as the Trade is Entered....I look at the situation....and if I am not out of the Trade within about 20 seconds....I move the stop to about 10 ticks. At 30 seconds....I move it to 5 or 6 ticks. With the trading program I am using....it is a simple click to move the stop. So....yes....I do use a Stop....but my Rules tell me how to place the Stop....and when.

VSTscalper

#38     Apr 11, 2006
  9. I was watching the same thing. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I've seen guys at trader firms just get out of positions that had not realized thier full potential "just because." I was always amazed at how these guys thought they had a chance - taking 5 cent profits and giving 5 cents back when wrong on a position. I too use order flow as safety to get into and out of positions and I don't hold for that long - but my point is that I have a directional bias and that I never enter a position unless I feel that the risk far outweighs the reward.

So, to clarify - my general opposition to scalping is that exits are often arbitrary. For me, if something is breaking down below it's opening and pivot ranges, I'm holding it until it more than makes up for 5-10 losing trades. (unless it reverses).

#39     Apr 11, 2006
  10. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

FaderTrader,

I actually agree with you. All I am trying to show is we can Scalp....when needed or follow a Trend when available. I love Scalping....but I would much rather get into a Trend like today.

My Scalps....are Specific....not Arbitrary. But I know what you are saying....and you are correct.

Also....because I have learned how to Scalp....which is now easy for me....it has also helped me to Identify when a Trend is developing....rather than a Scalping situation. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I can recognize Patterns very fast. Other than my Indicator....I just use Trendlines and Range Boxes....no Moving Averages....Bands....Channels....etc....just simple Trendlines and Range Boxes. And I don't Draw them for myself....only when showing someone else.

I use my Trendlines for Support and Resistance....plus Nearby Pivots. I can tell when Prices are going into a Range condition....within three Candles usually.

Good trading to all!

VSTscalper

#40     Apr 11, 2006