A question about designing a medium frequency system, 10k trades per day

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mcgene4xpro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I think if one has a proven edge, the cost will be irrelevant in such a case.

On the other hand,IP proection is highly relevant. I think to keep your edge away from the newcomers is mandatory. To keep it away from the top institutional few, such as GS and others, is absurd because they already have it and have much much better than it.

ULLDMA software side is not from the few. They are serving the few.

My two cents. I might be wrong but this is my opinion till now :)

#41     Jul 1, 2012
  2. To do it myself... it is an ideal solution for sure.

However, what if i know that this would take me relatively long time ( 2 years at min). In this business, as you know, time means money and more.

So, i have to make a compromise..

Ok, the question, to how much i should go?

To play slower ..... this is a broker compromise. This reminds me with people who swing to postpone loss ( or to be profitable as they believe).

To hire programmers ..... this is coding compromise.

To use already-made framework such as open source platforms or even API.

However, i started the journey and i like it the most.

Thank you for sharing your opinion

#42     Jul 1, 2012
  3. I know the answer but i wish i could answer it.

Thank you for your kind wishes and thank you for sharing in my thread.

Highly appreciated.

#43     Jul 1, 2012
  4. dom993

dom993

#44     Jul 1, 2012
  5. Your tone is really pathetic.

#45     Jul 2, 2012
  6. #46     Jul 2, 2012
  7. Your advice did not agitate me my friend.. but i have enough reasons to leave it. That is it. I do not want to engage in a useless arguments because this is simply will be a waste of your and my time.

What i care actually is to get constructive, open-minded and professional opinions and i got very good ones. Thanks for all who shared.

I have no doubt that this is your true thinking and i thank you for it. However, i disagree with most of it because either it is too general or too narrow. If i elaborate more, i would go into a fruitless endless discussion which i do not want to go.

Good luck .:)

#47     Jul 2, 2012
  8. gmst

gmst

Dude,

Come down to earth from flying clouds. You are just not equipped to do it.

As someone said, putting in 10k orders a day is doable. What is harder is order management, and open position management.

Btw, 10k orders per day is HFT not MFT. MFT is like 10-50 trades per day. Don't go by your gut feel, get a grip by talking to listening to professionals. All the subsecond stuff in HFT that you hear about is ultra-HFT, not HFT.

#48     Jul 2, 2012
  9. gmst

gmst

OP, listen - Amazingindustry is giving you here a reality check. You are not taking his feedback, rather you are shutting him off. CS PhDs from MIT and Berkeley find it takes a long time and experience to code up a high performance hft trading platform and manage a HF operation. It takes years of experience at coding to even think of attempting such a thing. When you say it will take you probably 2 yrs to learn Java and use it to trade at HFT (your 10k orders per day frequency), you have got no idea of how hard it is in reality.

Attempt true mid-frequency stuff. Take 1-10 trades per day and you will do much better. Common man, think about it, if you taking 4 trades per day in Euro, you can move 100-300 million per side per trade. If you are taking 10k trades per day, how much size can you move? HFTs make consistent money but they quickly reach their capacity. Whats the point in doing HFTs, anyways!

#49     Jul 2, 2012
  10. This is very valid question.

#50     Jul 2, 2012