A question about designing a medium frequency system, 10k trades per day

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mcgene4xpro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I disagree and i do not want to play MM.

However, if what you are saying is right, what do you think the safest rythm of trading? What are your tactics to avoid these HFTer predators?

#11     Jun 30, 2012
  2. Thank you for sharing opinion.

#12     Jun 30, 2012
  3. januson

januson

First of all, it's kinda funny to read this thread, the majority of comments are focusing negatively on the process... "you can't", "the robots are coming", etc. etc.

Anyway... being unable to answer your diffuse posting I have one comment though :)

Look into C# 4.0/ 5.0 instead of Java. Java is great, but threading in C# is phenomenal.

NB: I like your realistic approach and goals for educating yourself, it should be possible to learn to program in a couple of years if you're working hard and concentrated.

#13     Jul 1, 2012
  4. Really, :cool:

Untrue and also irrelevant. :)

#14     Jul 1, 2012
  5. :)

#15     Jul 1, 2012
  6. First, thank you for your comment and i admit that my post could be seen as diffuse. This occurs when non coder is trying inquire about technical issues.

I have started already JAVA and i do not have the time welfare to pick something else now. However, i know once someone learn a language, he or she could learn another easily. So, your hint about C# deserves my attention in my next learning step. Thanks

#16     Jul 1, 2012
  7. januson

januson

No doubt that it is an interesting journey you just have started. It can seem a bit strange that the vast majority of people tries to tell you that everything is very complicated, but maybe they are protecting their own interests :)

One thing I always have wondered about is all the admonitions around money management and order execution of both there exists great discussions about when it come to algo trading, in my opinion as everything else related to trading those should be handled with sound logic and you would be fine.... but maybe it's easy for me to say, I've programmed since 1984 and earned my money since 1998.

#17     Jul 1, 2012
  8. Putting the orders in wouldn't be the problem, it's hoping that he put them in where he wanted them and tracks them properly that will be ;)

I pretty much agree with you, although I have a low post count, I've been lurking for a few years and I can tell from the thread titles who the OP is likely to be and what to expect. Thread delivered.

Anyways, McGene, if you're doing Java make sure you read "Effective Java" by Josh Bloch. Before you go designing anything, try to get a solid understanding of the technical aspects of trading of trading - "Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practicioners", "Algorithmic Trading and DMA", and "Empirical Market Microstructure" are good books to read here. Lastly, do not reinvent the wheel, especially as a novice programmer. Use/learn from all the open source libraries (Apache Commons for example) and software (Esper).

Try to unplug yourself and set a clear direction with precise goals.

#18     Jul 1, 2012
  9. 10k per day is HFT.

#19     Jul 1, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

yeah...i have same question...10K trades to do what? if you have zero programming knowledge it would be safe to assume that you didn't back test your strategy(assuming you have one), so..you probably have no idea about possible outcome..now what? sorry,but this whole thing sounds stupid..

#20     Jul 1, 2012