A perfect example of what happens when you give people what they want.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Mar 17, 2010.

1. So what you really mean is no. Blockbuster had no significant competition in 1995 from Netflix or streaming video.

#21     Mar 19, 2010
  2. I know a few "youngsters" who believe the media they want should be IMMEDIATE and FREE, period.
    It's not that they celebrate "ripping off Da Man", nor are they worried about being morally wrong for stealing. It simply doesn't occur to them.
    And of course the problem for BB, and other pay-for- media, is it's not IMMEDIATE, nor FREE.
    These "youngsters" don't mess with NetFlix, and the only Television shows they watch are Family Guy and Southpark.

#22     Mar 19, 2010
  3. No, what I really mean is, your first comment was off base, neither of your comments had much to do with what I said, and the second comment has nothing to do with what I "meant".

Other than that, you were dead on :D

#23     Mar 19, 2010
  4. Zips

Zips

Perhaps if they would have actually put money into innovation and offering better services, they could have saved themselves.

Services like Hulu are the future. On demand, convenient, with little advertising. You can't get much better than that -- and Hulu is, for the most part, faster than torrenting. Indeed, the more media that finds its way onto Hulu, the less I torrent.

Why didn't blockbuster see this coming? They probably had the infrastructure and capital to pounce all over this market, or even create it themselves. Instead, they pissed the opportunity away.

Weren't the execs suppose to "envision the future?" Be innovative, and all that? Where did they go so wrong..

#24     Mar 19, 2010
  5. in the year 2035, kids will have no idea that people used to actually walk into a retail store to rent movies. it will seem silly to them.

movies, like music, can be rented or purchased via an electronic data path (such as the internet). even netflix's post office model will eventually die once broadband internet becomes as common and reliable as telephones or running water. eventually, netflix will only stream movies to your home.

#25     Mar 20, 2010
  6. nickdes

nickdes

"The US was a proven business model, with a constitution that worked. The people cried for this and that and the other and the US listened and now you have a nearly bankrupt economy."

-----------------------------

I agree with this part, : (

"Be careful what you ask for , you may get it" obama is totally breaking to pieces what is left of America. Maybe that is why Ammo is flying off the shelves everywhere.

Wake up America

#26     Mar 20, 2010