A New Volatility Measure

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Joe Doaks, Aug 10, 2007.

1. As an aside, my immodest (and occasionally fraudulent) efforts to augment TA are an attempt to broaden ET's horizons. But as many here know, there is a subcontext to my unwelcome posting. IMO ET is excessively enthralled with SCT. To the point that it is unable to think creatively or critically. Hence the ear-popping vacuum of new trading ideas here. And we all know nature abwhores a vacuum, hence me. While I never share anything that really works well (i.e., what I trade with), I do share those successful failures which were the seeds of inspiration which led to ultimate trading success.

#11     Aug 11, 2007
  2. Heh.
    May your generosity never lead you to poverty.

#12     Aug 11, 2007
  3. Thank you, Trefoil. The intent of my generosity is to impoverish others. Analogous to the way in which advocating SCT leads newbies to the slaughter.

#13     Aug 11, 2007
  4. Whimsy

Whimsy Guest

Any seeds of inspiration you produce are the result of self-abuse.

#14     Aug 11, 2007
  5. Whimsey, thanks for posting. It gives me the opportunity to point out that no one saw fit to comment on the possibility (or impossibility) that a mathematical function operating on shadows could be a valid measure of volatility. ET reacted similarly to my invention of NetShadows, which gives clear and advance warning of intraday price direction. ET wants to do its TA with crayons Hershey-style. And to be spoon-fed a static system (again Hershey-style). ET most emphatically does not want evolutionary, much less revolutionary, TA.

#15     Aug 11, 2007
  6. cdowis

cdowis

Dumb question, can I assume that both ATR and maximum excursion are included in a measure of volty.

#16     Aug 13, 2007
  7. Cdowis, you just screwed the pooch by responding seriously to one of my threads. It just isn't done. You might as well create another alias and start all over here, because otherwise you will never retrieve any respect.

To answer your question, IMO popular measures of volatility do not distinguish between goodatility and badatility. Goodatility is trend, badatility is chop. So IMO it is better to have separate measures for trend and chop. But what do I know? I am just an etidiot with a penchant for inventing useless new indicators.

#17     Aug 13, 2007
  8. gracekong

gracekong

if it is true

Joe you have done great work

#18     Aug 20, 2007
  9. Queen Kong (trying to be delicate here, not knowing if you are are a girl or just cross-dressing, hence the royal greeting), do not even think of trying to hire Doaks away from me. You couldn't afford to feed the other seventeen people inside his head. Plus, I am not totally sure that his indicator isn't fraudulent. He posts shit like this periodically to confuse the lapsed Jackers who are perpetually looking for a plausible working system that doesn't require any critical thought. Let me simply say this: I commissioned the creation of the indicator, but I don't use it myself. I DO chart it however because it LOOKS useful, especially on a one minute time frame. Fortunately I didn't pay much for it. He said it took him five minutes to code up as a deviant of his totally worthless Netshadows indicator. I fear that this is just the latest scam perpetrated by the likes of John Merchant and N.Q. Enqueue, well known ET mountebanks.

#19     Aug 20, 2007
  10. Do you know anything about the Red-Shift/Blue-Shift indicator?

#20     Aug 20, 2007