A new financial order

Discussion in 'Economics' started by paperboy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. gnome

gnome

It's not a matter of "staying out of strong currencies"... you WANT to be in a strong currency.

But if ALL currencies are going to be debased (resulting in a world wide inflation... likely scenario here), you want to be in "something of value" regardless of the currency... like gold, oil, land.. maybe real estate?... food, ammunition... etc. things of value in a barter economy.

#21     Apr 2, 2009
  2. I don't know if it is the most probable scenario, but surely I wish to study it, too.

Sure, but how could one understand what isn't already inflated at post-disaster value? [I know, noone could really answer, just wondering].

Studying past debasement could be a good start, as Anaconda was suggesting.

It difficut to admit it, but I feel almost paralyzed because I'm not really able to grasp the whole situation... not even to create a complete pool of scenarios to evaluate one by one and to choose from.

It is all outside of my past experience, nothing to start with.

#22     Apr 2, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

It is for all of us. Hell, you could load up on gold physical and at some point perhaps think you'd "dodged the bullet"... only to find the Gummint making it a crime to hold gold... or Gummint aggressively confiscating gold... THEN where would you be?

#23     Apr 2, 2009
  4. Hmm, there was this long post on a survival message board made by a guy who is from Argentina that lived there through the crisis. It was eye opening. It's bookmarked on my other computer, I'll try to PM it to you.

Other than that, there are many stories on the Great Depression. Believe it or not, fortunes were made. A barter system does kick in, up to a point, so anyone who has real goods merchant capability sits in a good spot.

The problem with agricultural land is security. I think people will have to band up and join forces in complexes, whether agricultural or industrial.
    I think there will simply be a demand for real goods, especially those that have been offshored during this globalization phase.
    This could be a quiet transition and we may have a situation similiar to Soviet Union in the 80s. Money did not matter much, it was access to the products that was a problem.

#24     Apr 2, 2009
  5. That's just business as usual..........were are talking about hyperinflation and asset inflation.

#25     Apr 2, 2009