A move from XP to Windows 7, not so easy.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wareco, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lol, I despise Apple (overpriced and fey), and Linux is a command line op sys with a pitiful fake graphic shell on top of it.

Not much left now is there.

#31     Jul 29, 2009
  2. ashatet

ashatet

Funny indeed.

#32     Aug 1, 2009
  3. Wow, that's the most ignorant blanket statement I have ever seen. This isn't 1990 anymore come out from under your rock.

What was the last Linux distribution you used? There are many options out there which have been tailored to the average home user.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&l=en&cs=19

Dell must have no idea what they're doing.

#33     Sep 8, 2009
  4. Jachyra

Jachyra

First of all, I have no idea what a "fake shell" is... you may not like it but pretty sure its real.

2nd of all, the benefit to linux is you can actually pick and choose which window manager and which graphics shell you'd like to use, as opposed to other commercial OS's like windows and mac, which essentially force you to use their proprietary window manager and shell (although you can usually change them if you're willing to deal with some of the side-effects).

3rd of all.... if you wanna get technical about it, operating systems don't have any interface at all. OS's interact with external programs via programmatic interfaces (usually via dll's or share libraries) and its the job of some other external program to provide some sort of shell for the user to interact with the OS with.. A command line shell is the simplest to implement and all OS's have them (including windows and mac) so that you can use the OS without a graphics card... but a command line shell is exactly the same as a GUI shell (but without the graphics of course).

The point being, that its not the job of the operating system to provide the window manager or the shell... the OS provides the OS... its the job of external program(s) (i.e. the window manager and the shell) to provide the rest.

#34     Sep 8, 2009