A move from XP to Windows 7, not so easy.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wareco, Jul 23, 2009.

1. I'm not sure how many benefits a MacBook trader would get from these technologies. They're nice to have of course, but not really worth waiting for from a trading machine perspective.

#21     Jul 24, 2009
  2. My rig is five years plus. It came with Windows XP. It was very EASY to resist upgrading to Vista. I believe my resistance to Vista saved me a lot of frustration.

But I am more than willing to go to Windows 7 at some point, feeling that I dodged a bullet by skipping Vista.

But one, my rig is running flawlessly. I have upgraded the power supply, maxed out the memory and have about as up to date video cards as the machine can handle.

If I have learned anything about Microsoft, it is NEVER TRUST them to deliver any worthwhile product on its introduction.

I would say that some time in 2010 if they get whatever bugs there will surely be worked out, I am ready to get a new computer with Windows 7.

Six years for a computer is pretty good in IMHO. But I agree with what Mossberg said that buying a new computer with Windows 7 should be considered.

In the Windows world, one need not get to attached to the hardware which is really quite cheap in price, it is all about the operating system.

I doubt if I would ever buy a new engine for a six year old car, neither would I try to go to Windows 7 from XP.

#22     Jul 26, 2009
  3. I'd guess you are wrong on worrying about Win 7 .

This has been HEAVILY alpha, and beta tested by MILLIONS.

Will be ready enough for most of you turkeys.

#23     Jul 26, 2009
  4. ashatet

ashatet

I think all those people who have plenty of time on their hand, and plenty of money to spend on the new OS, and absolutely nothing better to do, should upgrade to 7.

Does Microsoft really think that we are all as excited about what they do as they themselves are. Instead of upgrading their OS, they should focus on making their OS more robust against virus threats.

#24     Jul 26, 2009
  5. lpchad

lpchad

You can always be waiting for things just about to come out or within a few months. Just pull the trigger on something already

#25     Jul 27, 2009
  6. lpchad

lpchad

Perhaps Microsoft should lay off the division that creates viruses for the purpose of selling anti-virus software instead.

#26     Jul 27, 2009
  7. For those with their heads up their asses. Windows 7 addresses quite a few security issues.

There is no such thing a perfect security.

Are you guaranteed an anvil won't fall on your head the next time you step out of your house?

#27     Jul 27, 2009
  8. In the ideal environment MS would only build the Operating System and publish a uniform security requirement to all third party developers. This way security would be unbiased and easy to administer. But, that is not how it works today. Microsoft (MS) has their heads up their asses on security. The reason is simple. They secure their own products first and could give a dam about their direct competitions security. MS has an objective to make their competition look bad even if it means security is compromised.

If you and I buy a product that is in direct competition with MS watch out. It is often filled with security holes. These third party developers pull their hair out trying to guess how MS security is supposed to work. We are the ones who pay the price. It is only by customers screaming at MS and threatening to remove MS products do these holes ever get attention or by the sale of MS development products to the third party developer do they get a look at the MS Internal Security Development Lifecycle (SDL). An example of this can be seen in the current article:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/se...ambling_to_close_stubb.html?wprss=securityfix

#28     Jul 27, 2009
  9. If it aint broke don't fix it. I see nothing new or worthwhile in win 7.

#29     Jul 27, 2009

10. They way you have been PIMPING on this thread for MSFT tells me that you may be underwater on some Mr. Softie shares.

#30     Jul 27, 2009